Author Topic: MT: Laurel area changes  (Read 1200 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
MT: Laurel area changes
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:08:10 pm »
So I started off today fixing the alignment of a few routes around Billings (just minor stuff, no real changes to the HB) and ended up realigning I-90 BL (Laurel) because they finished the West Laurel Interchange project and realigning US 212 and US 310 south of Laurel to their new alignments.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4678

Let me know if the update entries aren't specific enough.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:07:54 pm
Re: MT: Laurel area changes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:13:20 pm »
The only thing I would suggest is a closed point labeled *I-90(Old433) at the old connection to I-90.  A closed point on I-90 is unnecessary since 433 is not in-use.

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:56:29 pm »
The only thing I would suggest is a closed point labeled *I-90(Old433) at the old connection to I-90.  A closed point on I-90 is unnecessary since 433 is not in-use.

I agree. And the new point should be mentioned in the Updates item for I-90BLLau, as the point where the new routing of the business route peels away from the old routing. I'll need that point to update my list file (already adjusted the US 212 and US 310 entries in the local copy of my list file).

I'm unsure the Updates line for the relocation of I-90(433) is needed, since that point isn't in use, but not much harm from leaving it in.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:00:08 pm by oscar »

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:27:32 am »
Alrighty, I'll adjust those and they should be live tomorrow. I would have posted about this earlier but I didn't realize that the Laurel area was that far off until I was already editing files.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 08:23:00 am »

I would say for sure that the US-212 & US-310 entries are way too vague.  The entries should mention point labels from where to where to at least give the user an idea of where the change happened.  US-310 is a little easier to figure out due to it's short length in MT, but US-212 is a way harder due to it being over 300mi in MT.  Took me a little bit to figure out where the change was.

Here's how I would have worded the entries for both of those routes:
Rerouted onto a brand new expressway alignment bypassing Silesia to the west between the points of ClaRivRd_W & ClaRivRd_E. Old road became Clark River Road.

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:33 am »

I would say for sure that the US-212 & US-310 entries are way too vague.  The entries should mention point labels from where to where to at least give the user an idea of where the change happened.  US-310 is a little easier to figure out due to it's short length in MT, but US-212 is a way harder due to it being over 300mi in MT.  Took me a little bit to figure out where the change was.

Here's how I would have worded the entries for both of those routes:
Rerouted onto a brand new expressway alignment bypassing Silesia to the west between the points of ClaRivRd_W & ClaRivRd_E. Old road became Clark River Road.

I couldn't find Silesia in a quick look. Better to say the new alignment is south of Laurel, which is easy to find.

I was able to figure out how to adjust my list file, but I knew from this discussion to look south of Laurel.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 04:14:10 pm »
Yeah I was thinking it over and I think I'll add in something to the 212/310 entries to explicitly say that the cutoff points are the two Clark River Road points south of Laurel.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 02:10:41 am »
The closed point on the business loop is live now.