Highway Data Discussion > Solved Highway data updates

IA: some changes in eastern Iowa

<< < (2/8) > >>

neroute2:

--- Quote from: SSOWorld on February 19, 2020, 06:44:40 am ---Not everyone is able to drive out to those points to verify.

--- End quote ---
That's why I showed my work with GSV links.

Highway63:

--- Quote from: neroute2 on February 17, 2020, 12:22:11 pm ---You seem to be preferring maps (official and unofficial) over actual signs that have been posted or not posted. Why is this?
--- End quote ---

I am trying to think of the best interests of the user. The user is, for the most part, going to be entering their points after consulting a map. The user may have consulted the maps before or after the trip. My method is based on the idea that the user will see the name on the map, or compare it to a GPS track, and know "this is the point I'm looking for."

GPS's, for the most part, often default to using street names in urban areas, e.g. "turn left on Euclid Avenue" rather than "turn left on US 6". That doesn't mean I should rename the US6 point EucAve. This is not a perfect analogy because US routes are well-signed and county roads typically are not, but I am trying to convey that the name remains valid.

michih:

--- Quote from: Highway63 on February 24, 2020, 10:14:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: neroute2 on February 17, 2020, 12:22:11 pm ---You seem to be preferring maps (official and unofficial) over actual signs that have been posted or not posted. Why is this?
--- End quote ---

I am trying to think of the best interests of the user. The user is, for the most part, going to be entering their points after consulting a map. The user may have consulted the maps before or after the trip. My method is based on the idea that the user will see the name on the map, or compare it to a GPS track, and know "this is the point I'm looking for."

GPS's, for the most part, often default to using street names in urban areas, e.g. "turn left on Euclid Avenue" rather than "turn left on US 6". That doesn't mean I should rename the US6 point EucAve. This is not a perfect analogy because US routes are well-signed and county roads typically are not, but I am trying to convey that the name remains valid.

--- End quote ---

seconded!

bejacob:

--- Quote from: michih on February 25, 2020, 12:00:06 pm ---
--- Quote from: Highway63 on February 24, 2020, 10:14:21 pm ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

seconded!

--- End quote ---
These are the times when I wish there were a way to "like" comments.

I frequently refer to the HB before a trip, sometimes printing out maps to help me know where there are route segments I might want to drive. I don't care so much how the point is labeled as long as I can figure out at which corner I should turn. The method Highway63 mentioned works exactly as he intends (at least in my case).

neroute2:
Welcome to bizarro TM. Sorry I tried to help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version