Author Topic: usaga: Georgia State Highways  (Read 98344 times)

Offline ntallyn

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 24, 2024, 03:22:47 pm
Re: usaga: Georgia State Highways
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:11 am »
US 129/247: missing GSJ at SarChuRd north of Warner Robins
US 41/11/49: ditto

Not sure what you mean here.

But I've been working through the routes, fixing up a few broken concurrencies (whether different point locations or missing waypoints), and I've just submitted the (non-bannered) GA route fixes through GA100. https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/3538

Next steps:
HDX verification of remaining GA mainline routes
HDX verification of all GA bannered routes
(As a side effect, these should clear up any issues on the US and bannered US routes)
Label checks (including the comments from last week, as well as checking out any "OldXXX" labels). I agree that labels should be as consistent between concurrent routes as reasonable (with the specific exceptions noted in the manual, such as end-of-concurrency or using the parent route on bannered routes).

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:54:00 am
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2020, 11:17:06 am »
US 129/247: missing GSJ at SarChuRd north of Warner Robins
US 41/11/49: ditto

Not sure what you mean here.
There are missing grade separated junctions at the new extension of Sardis Church Road.

Offline Eth

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 04:01:53 pm
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2020, 02:34:20 pm »
All U.S. Highways in Georgia are supposed to have a concurrent state highway. However, there is no signage for any state highway on US 25 Bus (Augusta, Georgia-North Augusta, South Carolina) from the 5th Street intersection to the 13th Street intersection. The southernmost block uses GA 28, and the entire 13th Street portion uses GA 4.

By the way, I live in the Augusta area, so I can verify routes here, if needed.

It appears the US 25 Bus portion between 13th and 5th is not in the primary system.

The traffic count map https://gdottrafficdata.drakewell.com/publicmultinodemap.asp clearly identifies (click on the dot with a traffic count) the 13th St part as GA 4 and there is a point between 5th and US 1-25-78-278 clearly identified as GA 28.  Points on the rest of US 25 bus give a route number consistent with secondary route designations (route 2720).

Still trying to find other resources that might give a different answer.  The 1992 and 1998 Richmond County maps do not show an accompanying state route with US 25 Business either.  The entirety of Washington St was part of GA 28 when US 25 Business was first created.

Just found this interactive State Classification map that also says it is not a state highway but signed US 25 Bus - https://itos.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=962a2591f91a4303aeafe016ba8db96b

That is...extremely weird, but correct as far as I can tell. That's the only instance of this I'm aware of anywhere in the state. (Google Maps, if you zoom in far enough, shows it as GA 104, but since official sources say otherwise, I'd say that's an error.)

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2020, 06:00:56 pm »
GA40Spr in St. Mary's is signed. Field checked on 1/18/2020. Heading north I spotted only one sign. My photo also attached.

There are at least 2 signs heading south. I did not drive the full length of the route in that direction, so I don't know if there are more. This one is just south of the intersection with Kings Bay Rd.

The other attached photo is at the corner of Mush Bluff Rd, roughly where the route ends at the Crooked River launch. That does not seem to appear in the most recent GMSV capture at that location.

I believe this route had been previously included but was removed after being incorrectly marked as unsigned. Hopefully the draft of the route file is still around and can be put back in to usaga.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:21:46 pm by bejacob »

Offline charliezeb

• Last Login:January 25, 2024, 07:15:30 pm
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2020, 09:30:29 am »
Re the Fall Line Fwy (GA 540), I see that waypoint 74, the intersection with the now-former GA 243 (Gordon Hwy) in Wilkinson Co, is actually labeled "FallLineFwy", a vestige of the old GA 243 routing (waypoint 6). That waypoint name would be valid for 243 (if it still exists), but not for 540, where I would suggest GorHwy as that old routing of 243 is no more.

Offline CharlotteAllisonCDTG

• Last Login:June 28, 2021, 06:49:02 am
  • Transgender Lesbian and Traveler
    • My Wikipedia User Page
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2020, 12:36:14 am »
According to signage, the former path of GA 243 here is actually Pennington Highway, not Gordon Highway.
Completely clinched:  I-24, I-35W (MN), I-97, I-124, I-126, I-155 (MO-TN), I-190 (SD), I-195 (MD), I-240 (NC), I-295 (FL), I-375 (MI), I-516, I-520, I-526, I-564, I-585, I-640, I-675 (GA), I-895A, US 178, US 276

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:March 20, 2024, 07:58:41 pm
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2020, 06:19:09 am »
GA40Spr in St. Mary's is signed. Field checked on 1/18/2020. Heading north I spotted only one sign. My photo also attached.

There are at least 2 signs heading south. I did not drive the full length of the route in that direction, so I don't know if there are more. This one is just south of the intersection with Kings Bay Rd.

The other attached photo is at the corner of Mush Bluff Rd, roughly where the route ends at the Crooked River launch. That does not seem to appear in the most recent GMSV capture at that location.

I believe this route had been previously included but was removed after being incorrectly marked as unsigned. Hopefully the draft of the route file is still around and can be put back in to usaga.

We can confim this as well.  We spotted the signs on GA 40 while driving into and out of St. Marys for Cumberland Island NS from I-95.  We will try to either turn on it and drive down this evening on our way back from St. Marys again or tomorrow as we head out to get more details.

Mike

Offline bejacob

« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »
I still don't understand how GA40Spr got removed in the first place. It seems that during the peer review, no signs were found on GMSV. Knowing that sometimes images there can go years between updates, it might be wise to exercise caution when suggesting a route be removed simply because no signs could be found on GMSV. In this particular case, there WERE in fact signs on GMSV but apparently they were missed by the person reviewing the route.

GMSV might be an okay to confirm the existence of signs on a route, but using it to prove signs don't exist is a bit more difficult (signs are easy to miss when scrolling along a route). Perhaps it would be possible to use GMSV to identify routes that MIGHT need to be removed due to lack of signs and then see if someone is able to do some field research to verify.

Adding routes is one thing. Removing routes because the reviewer didn't find any signs in GMSV is at best troublesome IMHO, as GA40Spr proves. Signs were in place, and they were in GMSV when the review said the route was unsigned. Has this happened with other routes that have been removed for lack of signage?

I've been impressed by the comments in response to requests for changes to the route files. Thanks for making sure that only changes that are necessary actually make it into the HB. I wish the same had been the case for GA40Spr. Oh well. I'm sure it will be added back sooner or later.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2020, 08:31:14 pm »
Adding routes is one thing. Removing routes because the reviewer didn't find any signs in GMSV is at best troublesome IMHO, as GA40Spr proves. Signs were in place, and they were in GMSV when the review said the route was unsigned. Has this happened with other routes that have been removed for lack of signage?
http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3387.0

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2020, 06:06:20 pm »
So for the next week I'm going to be up in Helen. Is there anything that needs to be checked in the area? I'm already planning on exiting I-75 at Perry to check out whether http://travelmapping.net/hb/?r=ga.ga011busper now has a hanging end.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:39 am
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »
I still don't understand how GA40Spr got removed in the first place. It seems that during the peer review, no signs were found on GMSV. Knowing that sometimes images there can go years between updates, it might be wise to exercise caution when suggesting a route be removed simply because no signs could be found on GMSV. In this particular case, there WERE in fact signs on GMSV but apparently they were missed by the person reviewing the route.

GMSV might be an okay to confirm the existence of signs on a route, but using it to prove signs don't exist is a bit more difficult (signs are easy to miss when scrolling along a route). Perhaps it would be possible to use GMSV to identify routes that MIGHT need to be removed due to lack of signs and then see if someone is able to do some field research to verify.

I've been impressed by the comments in response to requests for changes to the route files. Thanks for making sure that only changes that are necessary actually make it into the HB. I wish the same had been the case for GA40Spr. Oh well. I'm sure it will be added back sooner or later.

This may have been a misinterpretation of what I wrote in Post #44...I was saying there was no indication of field signage at the north endpoint.

Offline bejacob

« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
This may have been a misinterpretation of what I wrote in Post #44...I was saying there was no indication of field signage at the north endpoint.

It may have been that. I see the reply on #123 where it was noted the route would be deleted.

Having driven the route end to end, I can attest that there aren't many signs along the. The northernmost one (on the southbound side) appears to be a relatively recent addition, though the others have been in place a while.

I'm suggesting that going forward, GMSV can be a useful tool to confirm the existence of signage, although depending on how recent the images are, even that isn't perfect. Where I think caution is needed is using it to confirm that signage doesn't exist as it can be easy to skip past signs especially on routes that are 'lightly' signed  It's impractical to field check every route, but I feel additional care should exercised when relying solely on GMSV when considering deleting a route due to lack of signs. It's easier to prove a positive (signs exist) than to disprove a negative (no signs anywhere along a route). Mistakenly deleting signed routes does not seem to happen often, but GA40SprStM is not the only time.

I suppose this is just part of the process of getting a state like GA activated. It looks close, and I'll be eager to see it move beyond the preview state. Thanks to all who have worked to get it this far.

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:March 20, 2024, 07:58:41 pm
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:17 pm »
We almost forgot about doing GA 40 Spur as we were staying by I-95 at Exit 3 and got on it, so we got off at Exit 5 and made our way over to it at the main entrance to the navy base.  Went northbound to the boat ramp and turned around.  Saw the initial southbound sign that folks are saying is fairly new.  Then drove the full length southbound.  Saw three southbound signs and one northbound one in my sideview mirror.  Sounds like this is going to get reinstated at some point, so I'll keep my eye out for it.

Mike

Offline Eth

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 04:01:53 pm
« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29:14 pm »
So for the next week I'm going to be up in Helen. Is there anything that needs to be checked in the area? I'm already planning on exiting I-75 at Perry to check out whether http://travelmapping.net/hb/?r=ga.ga011busper now has a hanging end.

I just checked Street View to see if it was updated recently enough, and it seems that it is. Looks like there is now an END assembly on GA11BusPer at the intersection with GA7 (old US341) downtown. The route previously turned left here.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2020, 10:51:18 pm »
I also confirmed that it's not signed south of there, and mileposts 1 and 2 have been moved to reflect the truncation.

Also, the US 129/11/22 junction at Gray needs to be moved west.