User Discussions > Other Discussion

How do you consider a route to be travelled?

(1/6) > >>

kjslaughter:
Curiosity question.  How does everyone consider a route to be travelled?  Do you have to be the one driving the car?  Do you count if you are just a passenger?  Or at an extreme level, would you count a route travelled if you were on a bus?

Personally, if I was in the vehicle on the road, I count it, be it me driving my car, passenger, taxi or bus.  That method means I'm including a trip to Arkansas when I was 2 years old 40 years ago, but it's lifetime travels, right?

Jim:
I count all of those.  Almost all of my clinched routes are ones from my teenage years or more recent, so I have at least some recollection.  But not all.  For example, I haven't been on a good chunk of I-80 in western Nebraska and I-76 in Colorado since I was 6 years old and was probably asleep in the back seat for much of that ride.

oscar:

--- Quote from: kjslaughter on March 15, 2021, 12:05:37 pm ---Curiosity question.  How does everyone consider a route to be travelled?  Do you have to be the one driving the car?  Do you count if you are just a passenger?  Or at an extreme level, would you count a route travelled if you were on a bus?
--- End quote ---

Heck, I would include walking the route. That's how I've covered some temporary route gaps in North America, and also some routes within downtown London's "congestion zone" where I couldn't drive my rental car. Also, the only routes I've traveled in Italy (except as a baby, since I have no way of figuring out how my family in 1957 got from Rome's old airport to Naples) were in a taxi from one of Milan's airports, and a bus to the other airport.

We map one route in Michigan (state route 185, an eight-mile loop around Mackinac Island) that is off-limits to motor vehicles except emergency vehicles or other rare exceptions. More than two dozen of our users have clinched it, by horse-drawn carriage, on a bicycle, and/or on foot.

michih:

--- Quote from: oscar on March 15, 2021, 12:38:23 pm ---I would include walking the route.
--- End quote ---

Me too!

si404:

--- Quote from: kjslaughter on March 15, 2021, 12:05:37 pm ---Do you count if you are just a passenger?  Or at an extreme level, would you count a route travelled if you were on a bus?
--- End quote ---
Not particularly sure why being a passenger in a bus is more extreme than as a passenger in a car - its fundamentally the same thing. The other passengers?

I've got travels walking, cycling, as a passenger (inc in a bus). I would have at least a segment in 'extreme' ways such as walking backwards, running, riding in a shopping cart but I've got those segments more normal ways anyway.

There will be segments I travelled in a pushchair, asleep, but either I haven't added them as I don't know quite what they were, or I've re-travelled them.
--- Quote from: oscar on March 15, 2021, 12:38:23 pm ---some routes within downtown London's "congestion zone" where I couldn't drive my rental car.
--- End quote ---
I imagine because it would have been a breach of Terms and Conditions? I can see why - foreign driver doesn't pay the charge, rental company gets a fine, can't easily just charge it to the card.

I think, when I was little (about 5 or 6), I went inside that area (before it was a thing) in a car, but all my travels mapped (and I've got about 90% - just some B roads untravelled) within the Congestion Charge Zone (and most of those in the area outside it) are on-foot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version