Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 227963 times)

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #420 on: July 14, 2020, 09:50:07 pm »
On Saturday & Sunday I finally managed to take a trip that required updating my sig. It was my first overnight trip of the year, a 35-hour 2000-mile adventure to snag the 3 blocks of US 41 in High Springs between US 27 & US 441, which I had failed to notice last year when clinching the rest of the route. Thanks to Jim's outstanding upgrades to mapview, specifically the "highlight untraveled" option, these little segments shouldn't be able to hide anymore.

Spending that much time on the road wasn't really worthwhile to add just .24 miles to my total, so I fit in clinches of US 19 & US 129 while I was at it, plus a few more miles of mostly state highways in Tennessee & Georgia. Total new mileage came in around 450.

Weather was great, and traffic was mostly bearable, although the detour Google maps gave me to get around a 30-minute slowdown on I-24 near Lookout Mountain added about 60 minutes to the trip. On the plus side, the detour gave me clinches of TN 318, GA 299, and TN 134 that I wouldn't have attempted otherwise. Also, Sublime Doughnuts near Georgia Tech deserves a shout-out.

Nevertheless, as long as coronavirus is spreading, I'm not fully comfortable traveling that far from home. Those of you who are still doing multi-day cross-country/cross-continent trips, how are you adjusting?
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #421 on: July 14, 2020, 11:47:18 pm »
I got back home yesterday from a cross-country road trip, over three and a half weeks, and covering about 12,000 miles. As I noted upthread, I am semi-comfortable with driving in the pandemic, driving solo with minimal contact with other people, and with my full arsenal of facemasks (regrettably, too many of the other people I came near were unmasked, so I had to steer clear of them as much as possible). The outbound leg of my trip took a southern route, passing through many of the states where cases have been increasing, though not Florida and Louisiana. The return leg was more northern, from Wyoming east with some jogs into the northernmost tier of states like Minnesota and Michigan. I passed through 28 states in the process, missing most of the Pacific Northwest, Montana and North Dakota, most of the northeastern states (some of which would have subjected me to quarantine requirements, so soon after my visits to states on their "restricted lists"), the middle states from Kansas to Kentucky and Tennessee, and Alaska and Hawaii.

Part of the challenge was navigating the ever-changing coronavirus-related restrictions. The biggest potential problems, discussed upthread, were quarantine restrictions in New Mexico, and travel restrictions in the Navajo Nation in the NW corner of that state and the NE corner of Arizona. New Mexico's quarantine requirement was, and remained, limited to people arriving by air, and I had no trouble with driving through the state or staying overnight along I-40. I needed to travel a little in the Navajo Nation to clinch my final segment of US 64. No checkpoints or other hassles. However, I had to adjust my itinerary to avoid the evening tribal curfew on weekdays and the recently-reinstated 57-hour weekend curfews, so I made sure to exit the reservation well before the 8pm weekday evening curfew. Also, I was concerned about California, and added three days/two nights there only after confirming that the coast was clear. The situation worsened while I was there, so I didn't extend my stay in California.

I clinched a lot of US routes, in order of completion US 378, US 278, US 175 (re-clinch), US 64, US 212, US 14, US 18, US 34, and US 30 (re-clinch). I also clinched US 54 in Texas and New Mexico, US 84 in New Mexico and Colorado, and US 81 in South Dakota. I missed a clinch of US 23 in Michigan due to a bridge closure, similar to a pair in Georgia that account for the rest of my missing mileage on that route.

US 266 (entirely in Oklahoma) was a frustrating missed opportunity. It is close to and parallel to a part of I-40 I traveled, so I could have easily clinched it had I not realized it was there until it was too late.

While in California, I clinched what I think is all of the preview usaca system, subject to double-checking as I can now turn to getting that system ready for activation. In Nevada, I clinched all but two of the TM-mapped routes in Clark County (Las Vegas and suburbs), missing only NV 158 and part of NV 156 which were closed by wildfires on the days I was there. On the last day of my trip, I drove the south end of MD 546 to re-clinch the active usamd system.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:54:50 pm by oscar »

Offline osu-lsu

• Last Login:Yesterday at 05:54:12 pm
« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:24 am »
[quote author=mapcat link=topic=397.msg19902#msg19902 date=1594777807

Nevertheless, as long as coronavirus is spreading, I'm not fully comfortable traveling that far from home. Those of you who are still doing multi-day cross-country/cross-continent trips, how are you adjusting?
[/quote]

I canceled two multi day trips this year already. Had originally planned to go to Baton Rouge in April when COVID first "really" broke out. Followed by me canceling a trip to New York, Vermont, and Pennsylvania (including a roadmeet in Utica), yesterday.

So I'm doing the "World Ohio tour" instead. I think I've collected 2-3 thousand road miles inside Ohio this year alone. Instead of driving 1500 miles in the northeast, I'll try to 400-500 more miles around Ohio instead.

Now do I really want to drive out to La Crosse, Wisconsin, or Kansas City roadmeets later this year.....?

Offline clong

• Last Login:March 19, 2024, 04:24:22 pm
« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2020, 11:25:53 am »
Drove the family down to the beach Sunday for a long day trip. Of course we took a scenic route both there and back. I also did some driving while they were playing on the beach.

I was able to complete I-10 in both AL and FL. I had previously been missing Mobile-West Pensacola and East Pensacola to Cottondale (US231). That wrapped up all Interstate mileage in AL for me.
I was also able to add mileage on US31, US84, US98 and US331 and AL181 in AL and 90, 98 and 331 in FL.
This also got 4 new counties for me in the FL Panhandle (Okaloosa, Walton, Holmes, Washington). That leaves just 2 counties that border AL to visit (Clay, GA and George, MS).

Offline Barefoot Driver

• Last Login:August 27, 2021, 08:23:18 pm
  • always barefoot, wear least possible
« Reply #424 on: July 21, 2020, 12:20:19 pm »

Always bring flip flops because you never know when you’ll need them.
i never have any sort of footwear along.
i have yet to find any place i absolutely must get into that requires any.
i raise some eyebrows when i go barefoot in some areas, such as capulin in 2017, or when it’s minus twenty c outside.
i should add that i don’t walk across road-destruction zones but count them and the roads i have to drive on to get around them since i can’t know in advance when these will occur.
happy travels!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:40:05 pm by mapcat »
drive barefoot—it’s safer and more comfortable!
(i am always barefoot.)
my avatar shows the longest interstate and u. s. highways i’ve clinched so far.
whenever possible also, find a new highway to clinch!

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2020, 02:15:33 pm »
new i-880 shield in iowa
last fall, during a period of flooding on the missouri near omaha, iowa decided to rename the part of i-680 that runs from i-80 to i-29 just south of harrison county to i-880.
i found this out when my log indicated that my designation for i-680 no longer was valid!
i was unable to find a decent picture of this shield so i drove there and took one on may twentieth on the excursion i call pilgrimage which is to put flowers on my parents’, uncle’s, and grandparents’ graves near tindall, mo.
alas, they show it as a jpg (white background) but i actually had a transparent one in a gif.
it was taken may twentieth.
i also got one of ia-48 but won’t put that up here.
safe and happy travels!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:43:01 pm by Barefoot Driver »
(i am always barefoot.)

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »
ever heard of interstate 6???
well, i never had either, until i drove through napoleon, oh on u-6 and saw this!
i decided it warranted a photograph.
it was 09/16/2019 1742.

(i am always barefoot.)

Offline ntallyn

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 24, 2024, 03:22:47 pm
« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2020, 08:40:45 pm »
Flew out west for a family gathering (no, I didn't like having to fly, but time constraints prevented otherwise). Flew into SLC and drove up to Helena and back. I also have a couple of observations from this trip to post in other fora.

0 to 100 on the following routes:
ID US20Bus (St. Anthony)
ID ID33Spr (Sugar City)
MT I-15BL (Dillon)
MT I-15BL (Helena)
MT US12Bus (Helena)
MT MT1
UT UT16
UT UT38
UT UT90
UT UT200
UT UT282 (Fort Douglas)
WY US191 (North Yellowstone)
WY WY89 (Evanston)

Completed the following routes:
ID I-15
ID ID36
MT US191 (West Yellowstone)
UT UT23
UT UT269

Initial mileage on the following routes:
ID US20Bus (Rigby)
ID ID48
MT US12
MT MT85
MT SR347
UT UT61
UT UT142
UT UT201
UT UT252
UT UT282
WY I-80BL (Evanston)
WY US189Bus (Evanston)

Additional mileage on the following routes:
ID ID33
ID ID34
MT I-15
MT I-90
MT US191
MT US287
UT UT30
UT UT68
UT UT71
UT UT154
UT UT186

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2020, 10:32:21 pm »
(parts deleted)

congrats on picking up so many new ones! how i’ve done on these
0 to 100 on the following routes:
ID US20Bus (St. Anthony) done
ID ID33Spr (Sugar City) done
MT I-15BL (Dillon) done
MT I-15BL (Helena) 0 (l & c co designated as last)
MT US12Bus (Helena) 0
MT MT1 0
UT UT16 need s of ut39
UT UT38 done
UT UT90  done
UT UT200 0
UT UT282 (Fort Douglas) 0
WY US191 (North Yellowstone) 0
WY WY89 (Evanston) need n of cou rd

Completed the following routes:
ID I-15 done
ID ID36 only parts done are its co-brand w/ 91
MT US191 (West Yellowstone) need n of 20
UT UT23 0
UT UT269 0

Initial mileage on the following routes:
ID US20Bus (Rigby) done
ID ID48 0
MT US12 need e of 90 to 94, and e of that
MT MT85 0
MT SR347 0
UT UT61 0
UT UT142 0
UT UT201 done
UT UT252 0
UT UT282 0
WY I-80BL (Evanston) done
WY US189Bus (Evanston) done

Additional mileage on the following routes:
ID ID33 need w of 28
ID ID34 have only co-brand w/ 30
MT I-15 need n of 90
MT I-90 done (over 554 miles!!)
MT US191 have only parts co-branded w/ 90
MT US287 have only parts co-branded w/ 90
UT UT30 need w of i-84, between i-15 and 89/91, and e of ut16
UT UT68 0
UT UT71 need w of 154; has not been mapped
UT UT154 need s of 171 and n of 80
UT UT186 0
with a few more performances like this, you soon will overtake me!
(i am always barefoot.)

Offline drebbin37

• Last Login:Yesterday at 07:48:09 pm
« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:25 pm »
Took a ride to northern New England and accomplished 3 small goals:
Clinched my last NH highway by crossing the Connecticut River on VT18/NH18.
Finished as much as I could of US5 and I-91 without crossing the international border.  Derby Line is a strange place!
Drove over the latest iteration of the Brookfield Floating Bridge (VT65).
Clinched RI state highways 2/16/19.
Clinched CT state highways 6/14/19.
Clinched NH state highways 7/17/20.
Clinched MA state highways 4/11/21.

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #430 on: July 22, 2020, 11:26:53 am »
Took a ride to northern New England and accomplished 3 small goals:
Clinched my last NH highway by crossing the Connecticut River on VT18/NH18.
Finished as much as I could of US5 and I-91 without crossing the international border.  Derby Line is a strange place!
Drove over the latest iteration of the Brookfield Floating Bridge (VT65).
small but impressive.
well done!
(i am always barefoot.)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #431 on: July 23, 2020, 04:15:44 am »
Took a day trip out to Mt Hood and The Dalles, found US 26 has a business route, and verified and clinched a US 30H segment.

As I had business out in Hillsboro, I reclinched the entirety of OR 8 (and about 1/3 of ORH 29) (I-205/ORH 64, I-84/US 30/ORH 2, I-5/ORH 1, I-405/ORH 61, US 26/ORH 47, OR 8/ORH 29, OR 8, OR 6/ORH 37), then took US 26 from there all the way to Mt Hood (US 26/ORH 47, I-405/US 26/ORH 61, US 26, US 26/ORH 26). Found and clinched US 26's Business Loop in Government Camp (don't recall ever seeing signage for it before), then went up OR 173 to Timberline Lodge to get pictures of the lodge, Mt Hood, Mt Jefferson and the Three Sisters. 173 is still not signed.
I then took ORH 26 out to Hood River (US 26/ORH 26, OR 35/ORH 26). OR 35's one of the only north-south routes where the milemarkers rise going north (as its 0 is at the west end of the Ross Island Bridge); coincidentally, ORH 53, which US 26 follows going south from Mt Hood, continues ORH 26's mileage from the US 25/OR 35 split.

While OR 35/ORH 26 officially end at I-84, the road continues across the Hood River Bridge into Washington. I'd be comfortable with calling it an OR/WA 35 extension, though it isn't signed as such.
Took WA 14 east to US 197 (found a advance signage error with a WA 197 shield, ha), then back into Oregon. I stuck to US 30/ORH 100 for the most part. I was surprised at how many people were camping out at the Rowena Crest Lookout.

I ignored US 30 through Hood River itself, but ducked off I-84 at Exit 51 to verify and explore the US 30H signage, got back on after Cascade Locks, and back off at 37 through Warrendale.
I intended to take the Historic Highway through the main thrust of the Gorge, but it was closed, sadly, as was Exit 31 (the Multnomah Falls left hand parking exit).

From there, just a straight shot back into Portland.

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #432 on: July 31, 2020, 11:37:23 am »
some omitted
Took a day trip out to Mt Hood and The Dalles, found US 26 has a business route, and verified and clinched a US 30H segment. so, is this 26b new, or just never had been noticed by tm?

went up OR 173 to Timberline Lodge to get pictures of the lodge, Mt Hood, Mt Jefferson and the Three Sisters. 173 is still not signed. i saw the sisters from 20 but never tried to visit them.
I then took ORH 26 out to Hood River (US 26/ORH 26, OR 35/ORH 26). OR 35's one of the only north-south routes where the milemarkers rise going north (as its 0 is at the west end of the Ross Island Bridge); coincidentally, ORH 53, which US 26 follows going south from Mt Hood, continues ORH 26's mileage from the US 25/OR 35 split. good additions!

While OR 35/ORH 26 officially end at I-84, the road continues across the Hood River Bridge into Washington. I'd be comfortable with calling it an OR/WA 35 extension, though it isn't signed as such.
Took WA 14 east to US 197 (found a advance signage error with a WA 197 shield, ha), then back into Oregon. I stuck to US 30/ORH 100 for the most part. I was surprised at how many people were camping out at the Rowena Crest Lookout.
wa is noted for this. i missed the one you referred to but did get two others in 06/2017.
and —the first is in walla walla, the other in colville.

I intended to take the Historic Highway through the main thrust of the Gorge, but it was closed, sadly, as was Exit 31 (the Multnomah Falls left hand parking exit). always some sort of snag in our expeditions.

From there, just a straight shot back into Portland.
a marvelous clinching route!
my travel plans this year were thwarted, so i always like to see that others have been able to do some things. i need 30 in the eastern part of the state to have all of it there. when i complete id, that will gain more of it, and will have it almost across the country.
happy clinching!
(i am always barefoot.)

Offline ozarkman417

• Last Login:April 14, 2021, 10:40:02 pm
« Reply #433 on: July 31, 2020, 09:19:00 pm »
I have already spent quite some time compiling my .list file. It's not easy to try to recall and track all the major roads I have been on over the past sixteen years. For that reason, there are quite a few inaccuracies with my recordings.

I've been tackling the .list file by region. I've started out with my less-traveled regions, including all regions overseas (DEU-BY, AUT, & ISL), and about half of the U.S states I have been to (I've driven in at least 25). With this, I have a little over 6,000 miles clinched, including preview systems. Between that and my overall rank, it is more than I expected. Many of my multi-region travels aren't accounted for, they are part of the 40+ documenting errors I have made  :pan:

Because of the Coronavirus, I have not traveled outside of MO or AR this year. In fact, most of my AR state highway mileage comes from a few small 1-2 night trips taken recently. I'm not sure how many routes I've clinched down there (if any), as I have not uploaded AR state highway data yet.

As far as I know, there is one other teenager who has mapped their travels on here, noelbotevera. Of course, I might be wrong about that, but that is important to consider. >99% of my clinched miles have been as a passenger. Plus, I rarely have control of the routes I take. It's usually what the ol' Google says is quickest, and there have been many times where I could have easily picked up extra route mileage, bridged some gaps in coverage for a particular route, or clinched one all together if I did. A good example of this would be taking the whole of I-68 west from DC as opposed to returning via Breezewood/I-70 like I did on the way there. On that note, I now have a driver's license and can now do more driving on my own terms. I suppose I can start by clinching some nearby state routes. After all, I really don't that much else to do.

Thanks to the log file, I have seen how many careless mistakes I've made while documenting, so I can now fix them and complete a few more states. I'll update my stats tomorrow.

Offline Barefoot Driver

« Reply #434 on: August 03, 2020, 12:51:20 am »
I have already spent quite some time compiling my .list file. It's not easy to try to recall and track all the major roads I have been on over the past sixteen years. For that reason, there are quite a few inaccuracies with my recordings.

I've been tackling the .list file by region. I've started out with my less-traveled regions, including all regions overseas (DEU-BY, AUT, & ISL), and about half of the U.S states I have been to (I've driven in at least 25). With this, I have a little over 6,000 miles clinched, including preview systems. Between that and my overall rank, it is more than I expected. Many of my multi-region travels aren't accounted for, they are part of the 40+ documenting errors I have made  :pan:
it takes practice to create the .list file. i made a lot of typos in mine, and sometimes they change the waypoints so you have to redo that route!
you have travelled outside the u. s., but while i did many years ago, i have no idea of what the routes were as i was a passenger in a bus.
i have driven in all of the lower 48 at some time or another (most more than once), i try for both counties and highways.

Because of the Coronavirus, I have not traveled outside of MO or AR this year. In fact, most of my AR state highway mileage comes from a few small 1-2 night trips taken recently. I'm not sure how many routes I've clinched down there (if any), as I have not uploaded AR state highway data yet.
i know the feeling. i made a small trip into mo in may to put flowers on my parents’ graves. in the way back, i gained one new highway in ia, plus photographed the shield of a renamed one.
arkansas is a difficult state to plot the state roads because it has so many duplicates. i don’t drive there very much at all.

As far as I know, there is one other teenager who has mapped their travels on here, noelbotevera. Of course, I might be wrong about that, but that is important to consider. >99% of my clinched miles have been as a passenger. Plus, I rarely have control of the routes I take. It's usually what the ol' Google says is quickest, and there have been many times where I could have easily picked up extra route mileage, bridged some gaps in coverage for a particular route, or clinched one all together if I did. A good example of this would be taking the whole of I-68 west from DC as opposed to returning via Breezewood/I-70 like I did on the way there. On that note, I now have a driver's license and can now do more driving on my own terms. I suppose I can start by clinching some nearby state routes. After all, I really don't that much else to do.
good luck in your future travels and highway conquests!
i got all of 68 last fall. now i just need the toll part of i-70 to have all of that also.
my mapping aid is
here we go. it works adequately. i still like the old-fashioned paper maps.

Thanks to the log file, I have seen how many careless mistakes I've made while documenting, so I can now fix them and complete a few more states. I'll update my stats tomorrow.
hang in there, and we all hope the pandemic eases so we can travel again!
(i am always barefoot.)