Author Topic: usava (Virginia State Highways)  (Read 37455 times)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
usava (Virginia State Highways)
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »
This is mapmikey's system, but I've been working on a peer review prior to activation.  Backtracking in a way on this, as I started at the end and am working my way forward.  Some of these are pure suggestions...some are suggests to replace shaping points with regular points...some are definitely action items.  If I skipped a route in between entries, I didn't have any comment on it.

VA 598:  I think a shaping point would be useful.

VA 415:  Convert shaping point to regular point at Salters Creek Rd.

VA 413:  Given that there is a direct connection from the Main St/Memorial Dr intersection to the outbound bridge, the VA 293/VA413 point should be moved to the intersection instead of being mid-block.

VA 401:  A couple items with this one.  First, the Eisenhower Ave intersection is just north of the given endpoint (at the Fairfax/Alexandria line).  The point labeled as "EisAve" is actually Metro Rd.  There are two possible solutions to this:  A) use a single point for the endpoint and have it at Eisenhower Ave.  B) have two points in short succession...the endpoint, and a point at Eisenhower Ave.  In either case, the point at Metro Rd could be renamed MetRd or removed altogether (personally, I'd leave it).

Second item is more of a suggestion.  I think a point at Sanger Ave would be useful, both as a "shaping point" but also because it's one of the few ways to cross I-395 in Alexandria.

VA 360:  Instead of a point at RicLn, why not at SR 716?  Also, towards the west side of Halifax, I could see "shaping points" at SR 671 and SR 681.

VA 359:  The Colonial Pkwy point is a little off from the intersection.

VA 352:  Doesn't this route need shaping points?

VA 351:  Should include a point at the "39th Street Connector", its indirect connection to VA 143/Jefferson Ave.

VA 344:  I think it be worth replacing the shaping point in Scottsburg with a point at SR 613.

VA 343:  Should the stub north of US 60 to the campground be included?  It's signed with trailblazers along US 60 (at least it was as of 2014).

VA 337:  Still suggesting that, given the urban nature, there should probably be a point somewhere between 247 and 165/Little Creek Rd.  Still suggesting at Jamestown Crescent, as that's a partial traffic split.  Former guidance from Tim was that, in urban areas, we should have points roughly 1.5 miles apart (or closer as necessary).  It's almost 3 miles along Hampton Blvd from West 27th to Little Creek Rd.

VA 311:  To avoid the "sharp angle" error and for better shaping, I'd add a point at SR 624 west of Catawba and move the existing shaping point near SR 624 a little to the northwest.

The VA/WV point north of Paint Bank looks to be a bit off from the state line.

VA 304:  The point at US 360 is off slightly, probably due to the 4-laning project along 360 (which OSM still doesn't show properly).

VA 294:  294 is signed east/west, so the point order should be reversed.

Because of their area significance, I would replace the EllRd point with one at SR 612/Yates Ford Rd, and add points at SR 642/Hoadly Rd and SR 640/Minnieville Rd.

VA 293:  Mentioned above that the 293/413 point should be moved from mid-block.  Also, with VA 41's extension to US 29, the VA 41/VA 293 intersection has been moved slightly south of where the current list point is.

VA 269:  I could see adding a point at SR 635 and/or SR 633.  Also, something to double-check:  is the VA 42/VA269 termini point at I-64 or at SR 632?  We currently have it at I-64, which signage on the I-64 ramps supports, but signage at SR 632 suggests it's there instead.  2015 shapefiles also suggest it's at SR 632.  (this also affects our entries on VHP).

VA 249:  On VHP, we have VA 249 ending at US 60, but the draft list in the browser has it ending at I-64.  Which one's correct?

VA 242:  Point at SR 611?

VA 239:  "TryPl" is misspelled...should be "TyrPl".

Suggest replacing the shaping point near Dahlgren Ave with a regular point at Dahlgren Ave.

VA 238:  The last two points are mislabeled.  The 2nd to last point (on the east side of old Yorktown) should be the BalSt point, with the endpoint labeled one of "Gate", "USCGTraCen", or "NelRd" (the side road right before the gate being Nelson Rd).

VA 236:  Suggest adding points at SR 620/Braddock Rd and at Quaker Ln in Alexandria.

VA 235:  Suggest moving the Patton Blvd point to Ferry Landing Rd and adding a shaping point (or regular point) at/near the Walker Gate access to Fort Belvoir.

VA 234:  Suggest adding points at SR 640/Minnieville Rd, Bristow Rd (connector to SR 646/Aden Rd and SR 619), SR 642/Hoadly Rd, and Sudley Manor Dr.  All are major roads.  Also suggest replacing the shaping point near Sudley Springs with a point at SR 659/Gum Spring Rd.

VA 231:  SR606 is mislabeled.  It should be SR608.

VA 230:  A point at SR 621 north of Stannardsville could potentially replace the shaping point a short distance north of there.

Technically, the US29 point should be labled US29_S and same thing for the VA231 point.

VA 229:  Suggest a point at SR 621.  It's a pretty important road in the area.

VA 228:  The southern endpoint of this route is a bit different than what's in the HB.  While technically defined as the southern town limit of Herndon, the reality is that the town line follows the roadway for about a half mile.  Based on shapefiles and the distances listed in VDOT's traffic log (0.24mi s of Herndon Pkwy, 0.34mi N of DTR), I would put the endpoint as about halfway between the traffic signal at Worldgate Dr/Parcher Ave and the next signal to the north at a retail entrance...roughly here.

VA 227:  The southern endpoint is a bit off from the actual intersection.

VA 226:  Given its connection to a bridge across the river, suggest a point at SR 600.

VA 224:  Suggest a point at SR 704.

VA 222:  Suggest replacing the shaping point with a point at SR 709.

VA 218:  Suggest replacing the shaping point near Passapatanzy with a point at SR 605.

VA 215:  Suggest replacing the shaping point with a point at Rollins Ford Rd.

VA 208:  Suggest a point at SR 652 near Lake Anna (main access point to the southern reaches of Lake Anna).

VA 205:  Suggest replacing the shaping point near Oak Grove with a point at SR 631.

VA 202:  Suggest adding a point at SR 612 Hague.

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:49:09 pm
Re: usava (Virginia State Highways)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »
VA 249:  On VHP, we have VA 249 ending at US 60, but the draft list in the browser has it ending at I-64.  Which one's correct?

VA 249 is posted as ending at US 60 for the record.  (also verified on GSV)

VA 234:  Suggest adding points at SR 640/Minnieville Rd, Bristow Rd (connector to SR 646/Aden Rd and SR 619), SR 642/Hoadly Rd, and Sudley Manor Dr.  All are major roads.  Also suggest replacing the shaping point near Sudley Springs with a point at SR 659/Gum Spring Rd.

Also I would consider moving the shaping point at Olympic Dr (subdivision entrance but definitely no outlet there) to Purcell Rd or Lake Jackson Dr (both signalized intersections-the latter more likely to work if either do, I do realize that this area is close to VA 294 as well).

-Mark (AKA 74/171FAN on AARoads)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:40:28 am »
Also I would consider moving the shaping point at Olympic Dr (subdivision entrance but definitely no outlet there) to Purcell Rd or Lake Jackson Dr (both signalized intersections-the latter more likely to work if either do, I do realize that this area is close to VA 294 as well).
Lake Jackson alone doesn't work, as in that case it puts the VA234 centerline outside of tolerance at the Meadowgate Drive intersection.
Purcell alone doesn't work, as in that case it puts the VA234 centerline outside of tolerance at the Lake Jackson intersection.
Both points together do work, however.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:22 am »
VA 311:  To avoid the "sharp angle" error and for better shaping, I'd add a point at SR 624 west of Catawba and move the existing shaping point near SR 624 a little to the northwest.

The VA/WV point north of Paint Bank looks to be a bit off from the state line.

It does seem to be.  It doesn't sync with the VA/WV point in wv.wv311swe (Sweet Springs) point at all.  Would recommend just taking the line out of the WV file and plopping it in.
VA/WV http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.606616&lon=-80.240879

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:39 am
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 04:37:30 pm »
I did all of the suggested with these notes:

For VA 413, I put a point at both legs of VA 293.  I did not change VA 293 because it still runs on the one-way pair.  VA 413 does run east to Patton and signs on 413 still direct you to go to Patton to reach VA 293 NB, despite the ability to do so directly from Main

VA 343 does not seem to be posted north of US 60 anymore, per GMSV 2007-15

VA 311cro also needed WV state line match so I did that

VA 269 ends at I-64 on both ends per traffic logs and also 2003 route log; I'm not sure the shapefiles show overlays; 2004 VDOT County Atlas shows VA 42-269 on that piece.

VA 249 is exactly the opposite: posted from US 60 but all sources above show it ending at I-64. 

In my queue for submission after I resolve one other thing in Virginia...

Mike

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:46:01 am »
Continuing to work backwards (from 200):

VA 199:  Old York Rd (east of I-64) is now Water Country Pkwy.

VA 198:  Perhaps a point at SR 678 Harcum?

VA 191:  The southern endpoint is where 13/460 turn onto Military Hwy, just south of I-664.

VA 190:  For the River Walk, Greenbrier, and Lynnhaven Parkway points, should it be Pkwy or Pky?  Also, since it's in Chesapeake, the Lynnhaven Pkwy point should be Volvo Pkwy instead.

Suggest adding points at Centerville Tpk (major arterial) and Providence Rd (former VA 409).

With the reconstruction/realignment in Kempsville, the VA 165/VA 190 point needs to be shifted south.

VA 189:  Suggest a point at Wyanoke Trl, near the river, for shaping purposes.

VA 187:  The eastern endpoint is about a quarter-mile farther north than it should be.  It should be roughly here.

VA 184:  Given how it's signed (east/west), the point order should be reversed.

VA 183:  The shaping point should be replaced with a regular point at either SR 611 or SR 634.

Suggest adding a point at SR 606 Wardtown.

A point should be added at SR 652 for shaping purposes.

VA 179:  The west end is slightly off.  It should be even with the north end of the Wharf area, approximately here.

VA 175:  Given its area importance (plus the only traffic signal on 175 between its endpoints), suggest a point at SR 798.

For those who haven't been across the new Chincoteague Bridge yet, perhaps a point at Old 175?

VA 173:  The VDOT route log specifies the western end as being "310 feet from the Warwick River at the beginning of pavement".  While the pavement edge is currently less than that distance from the river, that 310 feet is roughly even with the east end of the parking lot at Denbeigh Park.

VA 171:  The LawRd point is a bit off.

VA 168 BUSINESS:  Suggest a point at Volvo Pkwy (local arterial and also on the VA 190 list).

VA 168:  Instead of exit numbers, should we use regular labels instead on the freeway portion?  Hidden exit number labels could be used in order to not break any user lists using the existing 168 freeway list.

Instead of a point at MusAve, suggest a point at Norview Ave instead.

Given the funkiness that is WB US 60's routing and turn restrictions, suggest a point at Mason Creek Rd.

VA 166:  Now that the new connection to US 17 at Dominion Lakes Blvd is open, the south end should be revised to meet US 17 there (also affecting the US 17 list).  Suggest an "Old166" point where Dominion Lakes Blvd meets Bainbridge Blvd.

Suggest a point at either Ballentine Blvd or Ingleside Rd in Norfolk.

Given precedent, should a point be added at (unsigned) VA 332?

VA 165:  For those who haven't driven the new(ish) Moses Gandy Trail, perhaps add points at old Cedar Rd on each end?

Given their area importance, suggest points at Centerville Tpk, Indian River Rd, Nimmo Pkwy, and Dam Neck Rd.

With the reconstruction/realignment in Kempsville, the VA 165/VA 190 point needs to be shifted south (also mentioned above under 190 corrections).

The I-64(281) point is a bit off.  This should be addressed on the I-64 list as well.

VA 152:  Suggest points at Big Bethel Rd and Coliseum Dr.

VA 144:  Suggest replacing the shaping point near the Appomattox River with a point at SR 645/Puddledock Rd.

VA 143:  Suggest a point where US 60/VA 143 turn off of Settlers Landing Rd. (also would be needed on US 60 list)

Add a point at 40th St in Newport News? (Connector to VA 351)

Technically, VA 143 extends up to the front gate at Camp Peary.

VA 141:  The I-264 point should be relocated so that it's properly on VA 141.  It was likely placed where it is because the Effingham and Court St interchanges were consolidated into a single point on the I-264 list, though it does not reflect the reality...while they share the same ramps to/from the Downtown Tunnel, they are effectively two separate interchanges.  Whether or not the I-264 list gets adjusted, the point on the 141 list should be relocated so that it's not a block off the street.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 08:31:11 am »
VA 168:  Instead of exit numbers, should we use regular labels instead on the freeway portion?  Hidden exit number labels could be used in order to not break any user lists using the existing 168 freeway list.

Why not use the existing exit numbers? I see no problem with a route file including both exit numbers on freeway portions and regular labels on non-freeway portions.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 08:34:15 am »
I never did like that particular rule of Tim's.  I think it creates more confusion than it solves.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:35:00 am »
I think it creates more confusion than it solves.

Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I find 5, 10A, and 13 less ambiguous than VA168Bus_B, VA168Bus_C, and VA168Bus_D.
Clinched:

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »
In this particular case, I could see that, but 168 crossing and interchanging with its business route as often as it does is the exception rather than the rule.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »
I never did like that particular rule of Tim's.  I think it creates more confusion than it solves.
Not sure what rule you mean. Do you mean, a rule to not use exit numbers?
When beginning work on the select state routes, "route file(s) including both exit numbers on freeway portions and regular labels on non-freeway portions" were specifically allowed. See: NH101, which I labeled following direction from Tim, though I can't find the relevant thread or email now.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:49:09 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »
Froggie-  I will note that Mike already did a couple of these (VA 171, VA 165 at VA 190).   If I am correct, I mentioned the OldYorkRd one too but remembered that VA 199 is currently in usansf so I am unsure what happened to the VA 199 usava file.

-Mark

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 01:00:29 am »
When beginning work on the select state routes, "route file(s) including both exit numbers on freeway portions and regular labels on non-freeway portions" were specifically allowed. See: NH101, which I labeled following direction from Tim, though I can't find the relevant thread or email now.
It's also what I did with California's routes when I drafted them.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 08:54:20 am »

The rule to use exit numbers where they existed and regular labels otherwise.  Was not a fan of that rule, and the way I read Tim's comments/responses at the time, he made it a requirement, not an option.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:36:30 am »
The rule to use exit numbers where they existed and regular labels otherwise.
Aah, gotcha.

Was not a fan of that rule, and the way I read Tim's comments/responses at the time, he made it a requirement, not an option.
By my reading of the Manual, I come to the same conclusion.