Author Topic: NC: Suggested Waypoints Around Kinston  (Read 1320 times)

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:Yesterday at 02:56:28 pm
NC: Suggested Waypoints Around Kinston
« on: February 28, 2021, 02:38:07 pm »
I'd like to suggest a couple of waypoints around Kinston.  We were just in the Kinston and Goldsboro area over the weekend hitting a nearby state park.  I attached a map to help.

A.  We started things off, driving across NC 55 from Mt. Olive to extend our run from NC 403 into Kinston.  As you're coming into town, it comes to a light with NC 11 and turns left onto NC 11.  We stayed straight on Tyree Rd. which is a small connector over to US 258.  I was surprised to see the next morning when I double checked things that there was not a waypoint there like I was expecting.  The next point is WinFarRd which is Winsor Farm Rd.  It is at a tiny, under construction residential neighborhood, so it must have been selected as a shaping point as I see the highway bending.  Due to its straight across connection from NC 55, I'd like to see this added as a waypoint.  We did drive down to WinFarRd just in case and drove back along Tyree Rd to get the NC 11/55 segment connecting up to US 70.

B.  And then point B is from when we went to Kinston last year.  The purple is US 70 Business (maybe 258 as well) going along Vernon Ave. and then turning down Queen St.  If you keep going straight on Vernon, it ties in with NC 11 / 55 that goes through town.  We actually did the reverse last year, driving along NC 11 / 55 and then turning at Vernon to circle around.  It wasn't until we got home that I saw that there wasn't a point there.  Went ahead and took care of it by driving north on NC 11 up to Ayden and the new Greenville Bypass that we drove last year to close our gap.  Now this one would probably be lower priority since I think I saw something about Kinston asking for the business routes through town to be dropped.

Mike

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:17:11 pm
Re: NC: Suggested Waypoints Around Kinston
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:16:14 pm »
A. I think that Joe Nunn Rd should replace WinFarmRd.

B.  A point at Vernon Ave (VerAve) along NC 11/NC 55 is useful to eliminate the hidden shaping point just north of there.

Also US 70 BUS and US 258 BUS are going to be deleted as approved by AASHTO last year.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:23:12 pm by Markkos1992 »

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:Yesterday at 02:56:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:15:17 pm »
A. I think that Joe Nunn Rd should replace WinFarmRd.

B.  A point at Vernon Ave (VerAve) along NC 11/NC 55 is useful to eliminate the hidden shaping point just north of there.

Also US 70 BUS and US 258 BUS are going to be deleted as approved by AASHTO last year.

Thank you, Markkos1992.  I couldn't remember exactly where I'd heard about the business route deletion.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 06:38:32 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:50 pm »
points added

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:17:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:55 am »
The shaping point on NC 11 just north of VerAve needs to still be removed.  Right now, a broken concurrency exists on NC 11/NC 55 there because of that.