Author Topic: Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways master thread  (Read 127340 times)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: Canada and USA state/province/territorial highways master thread
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 04:12:28 pm »
I'd like to get the Alabama and Mississippi systems going at some point since those are my states, but given that the semester is in full swing, it'll be end of May at the earliest.

Online si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:56:44 pm
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 08:23:26 am »
US89 Temp reminded me:

Navajo Routes - do we make a system for them? What about other similar systems of roads?

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:32 am »
Uh, no.

My impression is that most of the tribal routes are unpaved roads (N-20 was paved only when it was pressed into service as Temp US 89), serving mainly local travel. US and state routes cross the Navajo and other reservations, to handle regional/long-distance travel. So I'd give this no higher priority than county routes (which is to say, not for many years at the earliest).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:39:01 pm by oscar »

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:39 am
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 02:20:35 pm »
I'd like to get the Alabama and Mississippi systems going at some point since those are my states, but given that the semester is in full swing, it'll be end of May at the earliest.

I could start one or both of these and turn them over when you are ready (i kinda enjoy putting together these sets) in exchange for a SC peer review...?

Mike

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
Uh, no.

My impression is that most of the tribal routes are unpaved roads (N-20 was paved only when it was pressed into service as Temp US 89), serving mainly local travel. US and state routes cross the Navajo and other reservations, to handle regional/long-distance travel. So I'd give this no higher priority than county routes (which is to say, not for many years at the earliest).
Probably even lower, as it's a lot harder to dig up info on the BIA routes than county routes.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 11:16:07 am »
Are US county routes even on the todo list?  If so, it looks like the bar for "clinching" NY is going to be a moving target for a very long time (and go up by several orders of magnitude).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 12:19:02 pm »
Are US county routes even on the todo list?  If so, it looks like the bar for "clinching" NY is going to be a moving target for a very long time (and go up by several orders of magnitude).

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't go to that level of highways in the main Travel Mapping project.  That said, I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to create the files and have an alternate version of the site (everything's out there on GitHub).  I have toyed with the idea of having even small areas (such as cites where I've lived or worked) plotted out to the level of city streets as an example I could use for my related academic projects.  But I'd never see those as data sets we'd want in the primary project.

Online si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:56:44 pm
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »
County Roads seems rather excessive, absolutely. As do BIA routes.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:40 am »

Related to this, one place we could expand in NY is to include the reference routes.  I'm not saying I'm in favor of or against doing this, but at the least, I believe they're unambiguous (unlike the truck routes we already are attempting to include).  Most are relatively short so could be plotted fairly easily.  It looks like there are a few hundred of them listed in the NYSDOT Traffic Data Report.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 11:25:04 am »
Related to this, one place we could expand in NY is to include the reference routes.  I'm not saying I'm in favor of or against doing this, but at the least, I believe they're unambiguous (unlike the truck routes we already are attempting to include).  Most are relatively short so could be plotted fairly easily.  It looks like there are a few hundred of them listed in the NYSDOT Traffic Data Report.
Indeed, especially since at least some other state-level places are considering including secondaries (notably Alberta), which is what the reference routes essentially are, albeit unsigned.  The one issue is that I haven't heard anything about adding unsigned state/US routes.  There's also the interesting case of the two lane wyes (which get inventoried with a reference route number on one branch).

I believe there's also the proposed NY Parkways system.  We probably wouldn't want to do both, as I'm pretty sure all the ones the state considers itself as having interest in have reference route numbers (though that does have some interesting cases - the Belt is multiple reference route numbers, while the Sagtikos and Sunken Meadow share one).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:18 pm »
I'm against including the NY reference routes. The big reason is because they're unsigned (little green reference markers notwithstanding). There's also the parkway ugliness vdeane mentioned.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:35 pm »
I agree with yakra. The route numbers on NY reference markers are smaller than on the small number plates under milemarkers in Hawaii, or the route numbers on postmiles or callbox signs in California. We excluded Hawaii routes signed only with number plates, and in California I'm treating postmiles and callbox signs similarly (see my note in the usaca thread on removing CA 259 from that system).

I'm not opposed to narrow exceptions to our normal exclusion of routes without conventional route markers. But the potentially hundreds of additional routes added with a NY reference routes system would not be a narrow exception.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 06:44:30 pm »
OTOH, I am thinking about adding Oregon's named highways (internal highway numbers vs signed route numbers), but it's also something I'm not especially worried about.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 12:22:17 am »
I'm not opposed to narrow exceptions to our normal exclusion of routes without conventional route markers.
I'd be hesitant to allow that. I fear it opening up a Pandora's Box of "You did this; why don't you do this?"
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »
I'd be hesitant to allow that. I fear it opening up a Pandora's Box of "You did this; why don't you do this?"
+1. Case in point: US33 Truck (Goshen, IN), which has no conventional route markers and doesn't belong in the usausb set IMO.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:09:47 pm by mapcat »
Clinched: