Author Topic: usanyp: New York Parkways  (Read 50771 times)

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:00:14 pm
Re: usanyp: New York Parkways
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2023, 03:11:22 pm »
I think the PIP should be in usanyp, and the GSP belongs in usasf. 

The part of the GSP in NY is minimal, and the PIP is practically a NY parkway IMO that happens to enter NJ.

I guess I am now at an either-or in the case of the PIP.  It really does not seem to be that big of a deal to me in regard to which system it is in.

After yesterday, I am leaning on the side of both being in usasf.  I think that I would be in that position if the PIP was anywhere else in NJ beyond the NYC area anyway, and technically the GSP enters the NYC area.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 09:14:41 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2023, 04:14:32 pm »
^ I'm curious, what made you change your mind?  PIP in NY still feels to me like a NY parkway, and has the same shield style as Seven Lakes Drive, which is in usanyp.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2023, 04:25:36 pm »
Basically, that was the conclusion I came to while clinching US 9W in NJ yesterday before David Golub's Long Island Meet.

I had also thought about a usanep (United States Northeast Parkways) system briefly that could only make some sort of sense if CT 15 was unsigned.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 10:19:41 am by Markkos1992 »

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2023, 10:22:03 am »
I am confused at why the Palisades Interstate Pkwy is shown as concurrent with Seven Lakes Dr.  I thought that the Palisades was never concurrent with it.

I think the Palisades should have the line go straight between both parts of Exit 18.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:56:20 pm
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2023, 07:27:15 pm »
I am confused at why the Palisades Interstate Pkwy is shown as concurrent with Seven Lakes Dr.
Because there's a pretty damn obvious overlap? Unless you're thinking Seven Lakes should be split?

Online Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2023, 08:00:08 pm »
I guess I am thinking that the 18 point on the PIP should be split into two to lessen the Seven Lakes Dr overlap.

This reminds me of the NC debate we had around Greensboro recently.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 09:14:41 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2024, 09:40:23 pm »
I happened to be looking at the NYSDOT Scenic Byways site for something and noticed that on their byways list there's a link to a (slightly outdated, judging by the Robert Moses State Parkway) parkways list, with a note that the are listed in the regulations of the Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.  This list does include the NY portion of Palisades Interstate Parkway (notably, it does not include the NJ portion in the mileage total), if that affects the debate on which system that should be in.  A couple of other interesting findings:
-The Bay Parkway is listed as being its full length to where it turns around, not just the portion between the Meadowbrook and Wantagh.
-Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn is not listed.
-There is a Montauk Parkway included; not sure what that is referring to.  Google Maps just has it for the eastern portion of Montauk Highway (NY 27).

Some interesting food for thought.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline webny99

• Last Login:February 22, 2024, 03:34:04 pm
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2024, 03:32:30 pm »
Browsing around TM today, this discussion came back to me. The concept of moving the freeways from usasf to usanyp once it is active makes total sense to me. Besides the PIP, is there anything else that needs to be worked out before the switch can occur? I won't be much help with the technical side of things, but glad to offer input on anything that has to be addressed.