Author Topic: DC: Beach Drive  (Read 2815 times)

Offline cockroachking

• Last Login:Today at 12:09:20 am
Re: DC: Beach Drive
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2022, 08:58:23 pm »
The NPS has announced that they will be continuing the year-round closure to motor vehicles. I am assuming that this will mean that the whole route will remain, since there are still a few sections that will remain available for cars.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:48:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 05:03:22 pm »
The NPS has announced that they will be continuing the year-round closure to motor vehicles. I am assuming that this will mean that the whole route will remain, since there are still a few sections that will remain available for cars.

Nnnn so what your link shows is that NPS will be permanently maintaining the status quo. The majority of the road is permanently closed to motorized traffic, or at least thru motorized traffic (a few pieces in the middle allow local access).

Ergo, since the road is not and now never again will be clinchable by car, away it goes.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/6126

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:22:14 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 08:04:55 pm »
I think a full deletion is premature.  IIRC, we’ve had segments of other NPS roads in the system.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:54:59 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2022, 09:48:32 pm »
Holding off on pulling in this change to make sure people are on the same page with it.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 10:52:12 pm »
I think a full deletion is premature.  IIRC, we’ve had segments of other NPS roads in the system.

My thinking is that the remaining still-driveable segments are not sufficiently significant to warrant inclusion on their own.

1) a missing gap in an existing system (eg Mammoth Cave, California Routes, Yellowstone)
    2) a specific NPS unit for the road (eg Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge, George Washington Memorial and Baltimore-Washington Parkways)
    3) a through route linking roads already in (eg Painted Canyon Road)
    4) an extension of an existing system into a park
    5) roads that seem important enough and link with other roads - even if they dead-end

They don't hit any of the first 4 criteria and while the whole road if available as a thru route is justifiable under criteria 5, its stubs on either end... I don't see how they're "important enough". Neither goes anywhere of particular significance.

That said I am open to keeping the MD piece and the DC piece south of Broad Branch Road if people really want them to stay.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:22:14 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2022, 04:04:01 pm »
I would argue the segment south of Broad Branch meets #5 (and especially south of Piney Branch).  The smaller remaining segments in between I would agree do not.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:55:40 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2022, 08:36:21 am »
I am in agreement with froggie.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 11:27:22 pm »
OK I added the DC section south of Broad Branch Rd back.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:55:40 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 06:35:42 am »
OK I added the DC section south of Broad Branch Rd back.

Since this portion was kept, TidSt>-TilSt and BlaRd>-BlaAve apply from my previous point review.  Otherwise we should be good here.