User Discussions > Other Discussion

Secondary/alt/temp list files

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jim:
I don't see us doing anything other than having a second category of list files where someone could see their own maps and stats for a second/alt/temp/fake list but those aren't in the rankings.  I think the changes to support that are pretty straightforward (thinking a second directory for such lists, and those users have a flag set in the site update process, that flag becomes a DB field, and all SQL code that is involved with rankings ignores user lists with that field set).  It just hasn't gotten to a high priority for implementation.

mapcat:

--- Quote from: Jim on September 09, 2018, 08:08:17 am ---thinking a second directory for such lists, and those users have a flag set in the site update process

--- End quote ---
Call the alt list "mapcat.list2"?

michih:
No, second directory. E.g. "alt_list_files" instead of "list_files".

btw: I don't wanna differ my travels as driver or passenger. I just tried to find a way for what I think other users are looking for.

Jim:
Here's my quick summary of the situation.

For now, anyone who wants such a list can just send one in/create one in GitHub with any available name.  Submit 10 different ones if you want.  Doesn't matter to me.  If and when you don't want it anymore, let me know and I can remove it.

Maybe some day, we'll have a way to indicate that certain lists should not be included in rankings and percentages of routes/segments traveled/clinched.  That day is unlikely to come any time soon as I don't see that as a very high priority.

The one thing I'd like to avoid at least until "some day" comes is having totally fictional lists, like one with all of the Interstates clinched or all of the roads in Norway clinched, or something like that, just to see their list at #1 in the rankings.

mapcat:

--- Quote from: michih on September 09, 2018, 10:21:41 am ---No, second directory. E.g. "alt_list_files" instead of "list_files".

--- End quote ---

You misunderstood: I was suggesting using the .list2 extension instead of the .list extension as a way of flagging a list file as an alternate. Or some other extension if .list2 can't be used for some reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version