Author Topic: MA: MA16 & MA3AMan  (Read 3169 times)

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:25:31 pm
MA: MA16 & MA3AMan
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:01:39 pm »
MA16's MysValPlwy waypoint should be MysValPkwy.

I'd personally appreciate a waypoint at GorSt for MA3AMan, since I got on after clinching the Lowell Connector which ends a block north of there, but would understand if that seems excessive.

Just curious: what is the rationale for naming MA3AMan after a city in another state, rather than Lowell or any other Massachusetts city it traverses?
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
Re: MA: MA16 & MA3AMan
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:28:38 pm »
Just curious: what is the rationale for naming MA3AMan after a city in another state, rather than Lowell or any other Massachusetts city it traverses?
I can't speak for this instance. I don't know if it was Jim's decision or Tim's decision or what. I know that in Maine, US1Byp is named after Portsmouth NH rather than Kittery. I did that on Tim's advice early on. There's also a MO business route with a segment in OK named after the MO city. (Though to be fair, there's nothing much to speak of on the OK side.)
It could be there was an early unofficial practice of having a single City/Abbrev for multi-state child routes, for consistency or something… maybe Jim just followed my precedent of naming the segment after Manchester, with usanh (IIRC) being active earlier. I don't know man I didn't do it.

I will add this thread to my ToDo list shortly.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Online Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:21:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:31:18 pm »
I don't remember, but I'm sure I'd have named it after Lowell or something else in MA if it was left up to me.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:53:25 am »
MA16's MysValPlwy waypoint should be MysValPkwy.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/599

I'd personally appreciate a waypoint at GorSt for MA3AMan, since I got on after clinching the Lowell Connector which ends a block north of there, but would understand if that seems excessive.
I see a partially at-grade trumpet here, and am inclined to just One-Point-Per-Interchange it.
Is the LowConn point OK? (Though when I find these lately, I've been changing them to LowCon, mumble mumble,,,)
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 07:13:58 am »
I see a partially at-grade trumpet here, and am inclined to just One-Point-Per-Interchange it.
Is the LowConn point OK? (Though when I find these lately, I've been changing them to LowCon, mumble mumble,,,)
The end seems like it has separate functions to me (exits 5A and 5B to MA3A, and a continuation marked "Exit 5C" that ends at Gorham St), but I admit that the one-point-per-interchange rule hasn't always been clear to me.
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:12:39 am »
I admit that the one-point-per-interchange rule hasn't always been clear to me.
I don't think it ever can BE clear. What exactly one interchange or more than one interchange is, is wibbly-wobbly, a judgment call for whoever's looking at the map. There are bound to be differing opinions.

Edit: Oh what the hey. Gorham St leads north to Bridge St and MA38. Why not!

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 12:50:18 am »
Edit: Oh what the hey. Gorham St leads north to Bridge St and MA38. Why not!
Finally added GorSt. It's along for the ride with the US44/NY55 tweak in Poughkeepsie.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/781

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:00:31 pm »
Cool. Thanks!
Clinched: