User Discussions > Other Discussion

Looking to work with the USBR system and possibly other bike systems

(1/3) > >>

Ib3kii:
After trying to create another site(which I no longer am inclined to do so, as this site would be just fine with bike routes), I now am very familiar with how to create additional systems and routes within the system. If this is okay with everyone, I would like to start creating the USBR system.

Thanks,

bejacob:
I may be in the minority, but I think adding bike systems is a terrible idea.  I understand your passion for wanting to add bike routes as you describe yourself as a hardcore biker.

You mentioned in another topic that this would be a major tangent for this site. I couldn't agree more.

As a non-biker, I'd hate to end up clinching all the road mileage in a state but have my statistics show less than 100% because of bike routes I would never ride. While the idea sounds interesting, I'm not in favor of it.

That said, I am only one voice and have not been involved with the creation or maintenance of the site. As with everything else here, I will share my opinion and let those who do the work figure out the best course of action.

oscar:

--- Quote from: bejacob on December 30, 2016, 06:03:13 pm ---As a non-biker, I'd hate to end up clinching all the road mileage in a state but have my statistics show less than 100% because of bike routes I would never ride. While the idea sounds interesting, I'm not in favor of it.
--- End quote ---

Bike route mileage would not necessarily be combined with highway mileage, and I expect that there would be separate sets of statistics.

I see no problem with a separate bike routes sub-site under the TM umbrella. Only question is one of priorities. My sense is that there is greater interest in rail. Maybe we should do that first to work out some of the issues with mapping non-highway routes, then apply that experience to bike routes.

My own favorite sub-site is for ferries (auto or otherwise). That's probably behind rail and bike routes.

mapcat:
Like Oscar said, this would be a decent addition as long as stats are kept separate, for the reason bejacob mentioned. Also, I propose that highway collaborators should not be responsible for bike routes in their jurisdictions. I'd be happy to handle rail system mapping for my states, but not bike routes.

Ib3kii:

--- Quote from: mapcat on December 30, 2016, 10:25:44 pm ---I'd be happy to handle rail system mapping for my states, but not bike routes.

--- End quote ---
If it is okay with everyone, I am perfectly able to handle the USBR system for every state. It isn't the hardest system to do, and I am quite familiar with the way that the HighwayData works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version