Author Topic: Clinched Routes Highway Shields  (Read 80021 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Re: Clinched Routes Highway Shields
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2021, 05:48:35 pm »
I've put the changes I made so far to the shield generator and to the clinched.php page up on the main server to get more eyes on it.  I am not sure how much more time I can put in on this, but at least I feel like I understand the code better and can be useful in improving it going forward.  There are also lots of GitHub Issues about various systems that need attention.  If you're interested in the shield generator, you can check those out at https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/labels/Shield%20Generator

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:58:40 pm
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:02 am »
I like the basis of what you did here.  We could probably add in "BUSINESS", "ALTERNATE", "TRUCK", etc. banners as shown in the field now without many changes.

Of course, who knows how we would handle the PA ALT TRUCK routes...

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2021, 11:22:11 am »
2 banners.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2021, 07:28:59 pm »
canqc shields are live on the main site.  Surprisingly straightforward.  I might almost kind of sort of partially understand a bit about the SVG format and the shieldgen code.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2021, 11:25:37 pm »
I'll note that the AH routes in India have proper shields.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2021, 06:42:39 pm »
I had a few minutes and felt like tackling a small project - got canon shields live on the main site.  It looks like I can reasonably use the same for canonf.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:08 pm »
Thanks for working on these. The shapes look good, although the font is off.
Clinched:

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2021, 11:03:15 pm »
Not sure what's up with the usaon font.

I'm working my way through shields for lots of usasf routes, mostly alphabetically but I jumped ahead for a few when convenient.  Will continue.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2021, 02:05:44 am »
I had a few minutes and felt like tackling a small project - got canon shields live on the main site.  It looks like I can reasonably use the same for canonf.

Looks good Jim, however, those are what they use on BGS's (and occasional 'TO' shields on the ground using the Green color).  These are the shields they use on the roads themselves that you're more likely to see when you're nowhere near a highway that uses BGS's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_66#/media/File:Ontario_66.svg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:09:07 am by rickmastfan67 »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2021, 09:00:24 am »

Looks good Jim, however, those are what they use on BGS's (and occasional 'TO' shields on the ground using the Green color).  These are the shields they use on the roads themselves that you're more likely to see when you're nowhere near a highway that uses BGS's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_66#/media/File:Ontario_66.svg

Thatr's the one I really want but every SVG I've found is in a format that doesn't work with our shield generator.  I need one where the text of the route number can easily be replaced with a pattern that can then be replaced.  There's probably an easy way to save it in a format like we need, but I don't know what that way is...

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2021, 01:45:24 pm »
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ontario_Highway_shields#/media/File:Ontario_blank.svg ?  Hopefully you can also figure out how to do the 'A' & 'B' the way they are on those shields too.

Plus, when we do 'canonf', is there anyway we can get the 'blue' one for the 3 toll routes (407, 412, 418) & the yellow/blue one for the QEW?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2021, 02:41:27 pm »
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ontario_Highway_shields#/media/File:Ontario_blank.svg ?  Hopefully you can also figure out how to do the 'A' & 'B' the way they are on those shields too.

Same problems with those as the others I've seen - no obvious way to replace the text for the numbers with something suitable for search and replace by the script.

Plus, when we do 'canonf', is there anyway we can get the 'blue' one for the 3 toll routes (407, 412, 418) & the yellow/blue one for the QEW?

QEW and 407 went in yesterday.  I didn't know that 412 and 418 were also toll roads.  I suppose I could treat those also as special cases being only 3 of them total.

I'd like a general solution for the other canon/canonf routes.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2021, 02:52:33 pm »

Same problems with those as the others I've seen - no obvious way to replace the text for the numbers with something suitable for search and replace by the script.

QEW and 407 went in yesterday.  I didn't know that 412 and 418 were also toll roads.  I suppose I could treat those also as special cases being only 3 of them total.

I'd like a general solution for the other canon/canonf routes.

Yep, 412 & 418 are toll highways.

Well, hopefully we can get the Garnier & DVP out of canonf soon when we activate cannf to cut down on any issues too.

And can you provide me a link to a SVG that works for your purposes, and then I can take a look at the Ontario one inside of Inkscape and see what can be done to fix any issues?

Or is the issues you having is the 'ONTARIO' text on the bottom of the shield?  If that's the issue, I know how to convert that to non-text inside of Inkscape. (edit, nm on that, it's not text, it's already a shape, just checked)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:55:02 pm by rickmastfan67 »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2021, 02:58:51 pm »
You can see all of the current shield templates in GitHub in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/tree/master/shields in the template_ files.  You can see when you view the SVGs as text that most have a ***NUMBER*** that gets replaced to generate the actual shield.  The Ontario SVGs I've found so far all seem to go character by character with a lot of code I don't understand well.  Any help on this would be great!

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2021, 03:12:24 pm »
You can see all of the current shield templates in GitHub in https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/tree/master/shields in the template_ files.  You can see when you view the SVGs as text that most have a ***NUMBER*** that gets replaced to generate the actual shield.  The Ontario SVGs I've found so far all seem to go character by character with a lot of code I don't understand well.  Any help on this would be great!

Interesting.  I'll see what I can do!  Might also 'cleanup' the Ontario shields as well (merge items together to make it smaller in size) as well.

Are all the ***NUMBER*** lines in Arial in each of the SVGs? If so, a copy/paste into the Ontario file should be easy.  All then would require is the cleanup I mentioned above to cut the file size down.