Author Topic: usaca: California State Highways  (Read 135259 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: usaca: California State Highways
« Reply #315 on: September 13, 2020, 09:48:23 pm »
So, should CA-241 have a point for the exit with S18 like CA-261 does?

If so, 33 -> 32 & the new S18 point becomes the new 33.

In the list of neroute2's peer review comments upthread. This also matches Caltrans' official exit number list, which has come back to life.

Now that canqc, and my summer travels, are out of the way, I'll implement this suggestion (and start on the others) once I've recovered from my latest vacation.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/4243 (includes some other CA changes)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:51:03 pm by oscar »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2020, 01:26:36 am »
So according to this sign, CA 203 ends further east than the HB has it ending. Can confirm that as of this past week said sign is still there, albeit a bit beat up.

Truncating CA 203 to this point would also impact its continuity with MinSumRd in usanp, for which I see two practical options:
1) Extend MinSumRd down to the END CA 203 sign.
2) Delete MinSumRd

I favor option 2 given that it's not even in a national park.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2020, 09:11:48 am »
So according to this sign, CA 203 ends further east than the HB has it ending. Can confirm that as of this past week said sign is still there, albeit a bit beat up.

Complicating things is that Caltrans' Postmile Query Tool shows CA 203 ending where the HB has it, at the Madera/Mono county line. The highway is often closed to most motorists between the ski area and the county line, by snow in the winter or reserved for Devil's Postpile shuttle buses in the summer. But I was able to drive out to the county line one autumn day (forget which year, but it was in the past few years).

I usually rely on the PQT to nail down route endpoints.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2020, 09:35:00 am »
Which raises the question of, why's it in the HB?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2020, 11:00:25 am »

It's in a national monument, maintained by the National Park Service. Si was OK with that fudge.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2020, 11:07:54 am »

It's in a national monument, maintained by the National Park Service. Si was OK with that fudge.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether it deserves inclusion, but on the OSM map tiles, it doesn't look like it enters the national monument, just a road to the national monument's access road and some nearby campgrounds.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2020, 02:03:21 pm »
I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether it deserves inclusion, but on the OSM map tiles, it doesn't look like it enters the national monument, just a road to the national monument's access road and some nearby campgrounds.

You're right, my bad. The National Park Service website confirms. The route is entirely within Inyo National Forest.

There are other usanp routes including mileage outside national parks/other Park Service properties, that should be less of an issue. The most notable, of the ones in California I added to usanp, is the Generals Highway, which is a scenic shortcut between Kings Canyon and Sequoia national parks. The highway starts in Sequoia NP and ends in Kings Canyon NP, but passes through a significant gap between the parks that is within Forest Service jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:49:04 pm by oscar »

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:35:08 pm
« Reply #322 on: December 27, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »
CA CA73 18A 18B - Does this concurrency really exist?
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AR: I&; AZ: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I*; NE: I; NJ, I; OH: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI; (AR, IN pending expansions.)

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #323 on: January 03, 2021, 08:05:30 pm »
The California Transportation Commission has approved the relocation of CA 58 between I-5 and CA 99, from the McKittrick and Rosedale Highways and part of CA 43, south to parts of the Stockdale Highway (county road) and the Westside Parkway (locally-maintained freeway, already in the usasf route set). See https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE058.html for all the mind-numbing details.

Part of the Westside Parkway hasn't yet been adopted into the state highway system (apparently because Caltrans thinks the part east of Coffee Rd. needs improvements before it can be adopted at a later date), and the easternmost part completing the Parkway's connection to CA 99 and the rest of CA 58 is still under construction. I'll take some time to figure out how and when to implement the reroute in the HB. That might include a split of CA 58, a Buttonwillow segment between US 101 and Coffee Rd. in Bakersfield, and a Tehachapi segment between CA 99 and I-15, until the gap between those segments is filled.

I'm not surprised by the long-rumored CA 58 reroute. Indeed, I've already traveled the new route between I-5 and Coffee Rd. (plus the rest of the Westside Parkway that is open to traffic) on a recent visit to California.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:39:36 am by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #324 on: January 04, 2021, 01:03:37 pm »
Is there a chance it could be like other routes that despite having non-Caltrans gaps, are still signed by a local jurisdiction & this included as one piece?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #325 on: January 04, 2021, 01:43:23 pm »
Is there a chance it could be like other routes that despite having non-Caltrans gaps, are still signed by a local jurisdiction & this included as one piece?

My guess is not. But that depends on how and when the route relocation is fully implemented (this all was approved in December just before the holidays), which AFAIK hasn't yet happened. It might take a few months or more.

The only immediate action any of us should take is for travelers between I-5 and Bakersfield not to bother with clinching the old route, and instead focus on the new route (including the part of the Westside Parkway not yet added to the state highway system).

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:54 am »
Going into my queue for usaca updates is removal of the eastern segment of CA 146 (ca146pin), connecting the eastern entrance of Pinnacles National Park to CA 25. That CA 146 segment once was signed to the former east entrance station for the park, about 2.3 miles from CA 25. Since then, the park has expanded, and the park's website shows the entrance station has been moved to within a quarter-mile of CA 25. A recent field report (no GMSV confirmation, no camera car has been out that way since the early 2010s) confirms that all route markers and postmiles for ca146pin have been removed. The road may technically remain on Caltrans' books (per the Postmile Query Tool), but since it's unsigned we can go ahead and remove it from the HB.

We could move the deleted ca146pin segment into the usanp route set, but I don't see much point in that. There isn't a lot of pavement in Pinnacles NP, which is set up for hiking rather than driving tours. A network of hiking trails, off-limits to motor vehicles, has long been the only direct connection between the west and east sides of the park.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:00:58 pm by oscar »

Offline US 89

• Last Login:March 15, 2024, 08:50:53 am
CA: CA 17 south end
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2021, 07:02:52 pm »
TM currently has the south end of CA 17 in Santa Cruz at the point where Santa Cruz Highway drops down and becomes Ocean Street. The south end of 17 should be moved further north, to the trumpet interchange (current waypoint 1B).

According to Caltrans's postmile query tool, the freeway between Ocean Street and the point where 17 comes off is only CA 1. Postmile 0.0 on 17 is located at the north trumpet. Despite what OSM might say, that exit to Ocean Street appears to not be part of 17.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:06:30 pm by US 89 »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
Re: CA 17 south end
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:26 pm »
Merged into usaca: California State Highways, since usaca is still in preview.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:31:35 pm by oscar »

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2021, 08:43:58 pm »
CA 17 route file edited, in my local copy, to rename waypoint 1B to 1A, with 1B retained as alternate label, and remove old 1A from CA 17 file (it's 442 in the CA 1 file).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:59:42 pm by oscar »