Author Topic: MO: Changes to KC area  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 11, 2024, 03:26:56 pm
MO: Changes to KC area
« on: October 19, 2020, 01:38:58 am »
Field checks and Missouri map checks will cause the following changes:

-MO 283 has been almost decommissioned. Oak Trafficway has been rebuilt north of 32nd Street, which is a KC/North KC city limit line. Most recent picture on GMSV shows a 283 shield on SB I-29, but not NB, and there are no longer shields pointing to 283 from 69 (Vivion Road). The 2017 state map calls the remaining piece "Spur 9" but the split with MO 9, and one subsequent shield, show 283.
-MO 152 has been dropped between I-35 and MO 291, similarly after a complete rebuild, and shown on the state map. There are no signs at 291 or this part of Kansas Avenue.
-MO 269 is shown on the state map as continuing to Front Street, but there are no signs south of MO 210 and the exit from MO 210 only points northward. The bridge across the Missouri River is probably a big reason for this route's existence, so that's not changing.
-MO 33 is greened-out from NB I-29 exit 20, so the idea of the route continuing to the interstate has been mooted. (It was already not signed on 69 in between.)
-Missouri hates US 56 so much the line from Kansas stops at the state line, but this one needs more than a non-appearance on a map to be changed. It still ends on US 71, of course.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:23:47 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
Re: MO: Changes to KC area
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 11:08:55 pm »
OK, historical stuff from what I remember (haven't been in KC for 8-ish months);
-MO 283 has been almost decommissioned. Oak Trafficway has been rebuilt north of 32nd Street, which is a KC/North KC city limit line. Most recent picture on GMSV shows a 283 shield on SB I-29, but not NB, and there are no longer shields pointing to 283 from 69 (Vivion Road). The 2017 state map calls the remaining piece "Spur 9" but the split with MO 9, and one subsequent shield, show 283.
This was spottily signed when I clinched it a a few years ago, I'd be fine with it being tossed especially since it seems to be no longer in the state system and what signage is there appears to be legacy signage.

-MO 152 has been dropped between I-35 and MO 291, similarly after a complete rebuild, and shown on the state map. There are no signs at 291 or this part of Kansas Avenue.
The couple times I visited William Jewell (in Liberty) starting in 2016 I didn't notice signage on the section in question.

-MO 269 is shown on the state map as continuing to Front Street, but there are no signs south of MO 210 and the exit from MO 210 only points northward. The bridge across the Missouri River is probably a big reason for this route's existence, so that's not changing.
I distinctly remember seeing an "End State Maintenance" sign or something like that at Front Street (that was three years ago I think so take it with a grain of salt).

-MO 33 is greened-out from NB I-29 exit 20, so the idea of the route continuing to the interstate has been mooted. (It was already not signed on 69 in between.)
Wouldn't that be I-35? I think this one already got taken care of when we cut back 33 from Liberty.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:35:02 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 10:31:40 pm »
-Missouri hates US 56 so much the line from Kansas stops at the state line, but this one needs more than a non-appearance on a map to be changed. It still ends on US 71, of course.

I drove that part of US 56 last Friday. Still lots of US 56 signage in Missouri, though not enough to keep me from missing some turns and having to backtrack to get back on course.

It would not break my heart if US 56 were truncated to US 169, just west of the Kansas state line.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:23:47 pm
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:46:16 pm »

I drove that part of US 56 last Friday. Still lots of US 56 signage in Missouri, though not enough to keep me from missing some turns and having to backtrack to get back on course.

It would not break my heart if US 56 were truncated to US 169, just west of the Kansas state line.
Last I saw, the signage on US 71 still very much indicated that US 56 ended there, but it has been a while since I've been to that part of KC.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:51:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 12:07:15 pm »

Last I saw, the signage on US 71 still very much indicated that US 56 ended there, but it has been a while since I've been to that part of KC.

2019 GSV agrees with the signage on US 71 for US 56.  There may be nothing to do here unless something changed recently.