Author Topic: showroute's .list tool: when to enable it?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:58:00 am
showroute's .list tool: when to enable it?
« on: August 17, 2023, 11:22:37 pm »
We have a GitHub Issue with some new discussion about when to enable the .list tool functionality:

https://github.com/TravelMapping/Web/issues/532

My questions here for the larger group:

- Does anyone see a problem with the .list tool being enabled when an showroute page is first loaded?
- Does anyone want/need to use showroute with the .list tool not enabled at all?

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:14:55 am
Re: showroute's .list tool: when to enable it?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 10:17:10 am »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:25:53 am
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 01:28:17 pm »
My thinking here is it'd be nice to have a user preference for hiding or showing the .list tool be able to persist across pages (i.e., check ".list tool" and it remains visible on any route you load until you uncheck it).

Since I don't use it it's just view-obstructing clutter to me, but if someone is actively using it it makes sense for it to stick around.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:26:03 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 03:26:53 pm »
Perhaps it could have the state persist similar to all the options for mapview.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 07:25:50 am
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 02:40:02 pm »
What's wrong with the current state?

I use the .list tool anytime I'm updating my list in github. That said, I probably only update my list once or twice a month whereas might be looking at a region or a route several times a week when planning upcoming travels. I don't need the .list tool to be present every time I pull up a route, but when I'm updating my list file it is probably the most valuable tool on the site.

I don't like the idea of keeping it displayed all the time. It's currently easy to turn on as needed. I vote to keep it that way.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 03:04:47 pm »
I make planning of road trips via mapview only. I only need showroute for mapping my travels afterwards, and for hwy data maintenance.
When mapping my travels, I jump from route to route via the "intersecting route" list links. It is very annoying that I need to open the list tool again and again after every route change. I vote for having it displayed generally.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:35:07 am
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 03:13:48 pm »
My thinking here is it'd be nice to have a user preference for hiding or showing the .list tool be able to persist across pages (i.e., check ".list tool" and it remains visible on any route you load until you uncheck it).

Since I don't use it it's just view-obstructing clutter to me, but if someone is actively using it it makes sense for it to stick around.
Perhaps it could have the state persist similar to all the options for mapview.
Another vote for this.

Does anyone want/need to use showroute with the .list tool not enabled at all?
Absolutely - if I'm viewing routes to review systems (or simply look at the route), then it's clutter that gets in the way.

But, if I'm updating my .list file, I'd want the .list toll there when going to intersecting routes rather than having to turn it on every new page.

A toggle that is stored, rather than needing to turn it on or off each new page is the optimal solution.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:18:28 pm by si404 »

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 04:25:34 am »
If, as I suggested on GitHub, the ".list Toolbox" was permanently moved to the bottom of the left sidebar, that would avoid the clutter over the map. The sidebar width would also be a good width for the Toolbox, since the entries are typically very short.

This would reduce the available room for the scrollable Waypoints list, but how many people use that? The Route Stats are nice to see at the top, but I wouldn't object to having to scroll a little more if I ever needed to use the Waypoint list.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 01:57:06 pm »
This would reduce the available room for the scrollable Waypoints list, but how many people use that?

Me!

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:26:03 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 08:03:06 pm »
If, as I suggested on GitHub, the ".list Toolbox" was permanently moved to the bottom of the left sidebar, that would avoid the clutter over the map. The sidebar width would also be a good width for the Toolbox, since the entries are typically very short.

This would reduce the available room for the scrollable Waypoints list, but how many people use that? The Route Stats are nice to see at the top, but I wouldn't object to having to scroll a little more if I ever needed to use the Waypoint list.
I use that whenever I want to verify that I've marked an entire route, or if I want to find a point referenced in the updates log or on the forum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline pderocco

• Last Login:February 06, 2024, 03:41:59 am
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 12:08:48 am »
Sounds reasonable, but would you rather have the .list Toolbox stealing the bottom 20% of the sidebar, or stealing an equivalent space from the map, or have to click a checkbox to make it reappear in either place?