Author Topic: NY: couple route endpoint corrections  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
NY: couple route endpoint corrections
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:42 am »
NY 163 is shown in the HB has having a brief concurrency with NY 80 to end at NY 5S, but signage does not support this. Should be modified to eliminate this concurrency and just end at NY 80.

NY 421 is shown ending at an intersection with a minor side road, but this is a bit too far west. Per the NYSDOT traffic data report, the route ends where pavement ends. If you toggle the view over to MapBox Satellite you can see exactly where this is - about 600 feet east of where the endpoint is currently shown in the HB as.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NY: couple route endpoint corrections
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:33:58 pm »
NY 421 is shown ending at an intersection with a minor side road, but this is a bit too far west. Per the NYSDOT traffic data report, the route ends where pavement ends. If you toggle the view over to MapBox Satellite you can see exactly where this is - about 600 feet east of where the endpoint is currently shown in the HB as.
MilepointRoute2015 shapefiles put the end right where it is in the HB. Between the 2011 & 2014 editions of the TDR, mileage increased from 5.70 to 5.82 mi, or about 633.6 feet. Google gives 5.8 mi distance from NY30 to the side road junction, and 5.7 mi to the point where the painted centerline ends in MapBox.
Leaving this as-is.

NY 163 is shown in the HB has having a brief concurrency with NY 80 to end at NY 5S, but signage does not support this. Should be modified to eliminate this concurrency and just end at NY 80.
Annoying contradictory to the TDR & shapefiles, but consistent in the field, complete with an END!.
Reversing the point order while I'm at it, and tidying up some shaping points.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/2654
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:58 pm »
MilepointRoute2015 shapefiles put the end right where it is in the HB. Between the 2011 & 2014 editions of the TDR, mileage increased from 5.70 to 5.82 mi, or about 633.6 feet. Google gives 5.8 mi distance from NY30 to the side road junction, and 5.7 mi to the point where the painted centerline ends in MapBox.
Leaving this as-is.

Interestingly though, the 2014 TDR does still say "end of pavement".

I cannot definitively confirm that the end of pavement is still where the Mapbox image shows it, though I can confirm as of this weekend that the state certainly stops plowing the road before it reaches the side road intersection, and that the condition of the pavement up to the point where the snow plow turns around is such that it clearly has not been touched anytime recently.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:49 pm »
My thought was that the paved length of the roadway was extended a bit.
I can confirm as of this weekend that the state certainly stops plowing the road before it reaches the side road intersection
A bit troublesome...
and that the condition of the pavement up to the point where the snow plow turns around is such that it clearly has not been touched anytime recently
Recently as in the past ~5 years, I take it...

The point you noted above looks like it could be one potential plow turnaround , in Mapbox Satellite.
How about
here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.124404&lon=-74.620986&zoom=15
?

In any case, still leaning toward no-build on this one...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:00:06 am »
Is the "Pavement Ends" sign still there?

Here's how it looked several years ago:

http://www.teresco.org/pics/quebec-20110627-30/27/tupper.html

Unfortunately I don't have the coordinates of where the pavement ended, or remember where the first EB marker was located.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:07 pm »
and that the condition of the pavement up to the point where the snow plow turns around is such that it clearly has not been touched anytime recently
Recently as in the past ~5 years, I take it...

As in "frost heaved to all hell and with a decent smattering of potholes to boot".

If it's been repaved within the last 30 years whoever did it did it poorly.

The point you noted above looks like it could be one potential plow turnaround , in Mapbox Satellite.
How about
here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.124404&lon=-74.620986&zoom=15
?

That is definitely the location of the snowplow turnaround. As Mapbox imagery shows, though, pavement extends a bit further.

Is the "Pavement Ends" sign still there?

I can't say as I did not make it that far. The road past the location of the plow turnaround pointed out above was covered in some undetermined depth of snow that I decided not to try and see if my Focus would get stuck in, and I'm willing enough to take gimmes on clinches that I did not feel the need to go trek the last few hundred yards on foot.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:52:13 pm »
Hm. Yeah, enough is uncertain here for me to just go with no-build.