Author Topic: VA: Missing highways  (Read 7800 times)

Offline noelbotevera

• Last Login:May 21, 2020, 07:28:56 pm
VA: Missing highways
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »
The whole secondary system is missing and a couple VA primary numbers are missing. Not sure if these are planned to be added.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:50:09 pm
Re: VA: Missing highways
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:17:44 pm »
While we're on it, Antarctica Route 1 is missing.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:55:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:21:03 pm »
I do not think you have any clue how many routes would have to be included for the whole secondary system.  (many of which are subdivision roads)

(Besides I remember SR 7100 being in the select-numbered state freeway system, wait that is being replaced by VA 286 in usava and in real life.)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:10:15 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »
The whole secondary system is missing and a couple VA primary numbers are missing. Not sure if these are planned to be added.

It's common for state/provincial route sets to start off with primary routes only, if they're signed differently from secondary routes, then maybe later add the secondary routes. As Markkos1992 suggests, we may never add Virginia secondary routes because there are too frigging many of them.

Mapmikey can better explain omissions of primary routes, but we normally exclude unsigned routes or unsigned discontinuous route segments. Also, which ones are missing?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:47:39 pm by oscar »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:54:59 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »

Mapmikey can better explain omissions of primary routes, but we normally exclude unsigned routes or unsigned discontinuous route segments.

My guess is you're referring to the routes that are in the select numbered freeways system (already active) that will be folded into the Virginia State Highways when they become active.

I agree with oscar that the VA secondary system is likely too large and includes far too many inconsequential routes to be included.  I find it amazing that we have managed to get all of Kentucky's oversized system.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:22:14 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:11 pm »
I can speak a bit to this.  Virginia primary routes were omitted if they were not signed.  We keep fairly extensive background information on this on VHP, and when Mike took over creating the Virginia routes, he was adhering to the earlier CHM policy of leaving unsigned state routes out of the log files.

Offline noelbotevera

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:03:53 pm »
Well, I'm not meaning the WHOLE system, just highways that might be useful for the public/roadgeeks, such as SR 729.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 06:08:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 09:16:49 pm »
Well, I'm not meaning the WHOLE system, just highways that might be useful for the public/roadgeeks, such as SR 729.

You do know that there are more than just 1 'SR 729' in VA, right?

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:16:21 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 10:49:03 pm »
just back on the grid after 2 days at my mother's house near Gretna...

The state routes that are not included at this time are by the CHM rules: not posted with an actual route shield.  This would include regular routes VA 113, VA 192, VA 213, VA 283 and some VA 4xx routes, plus some of the 3xx facility routes.  It also leaves out routes that are posted solely with rectangles, but I am inclined to add these at some point.

It in theory could be worthwhile to add the secondary routes that were once primary route corridors (excluding loops of bypassed segments I would be thinking of SR 729 north of Culpeper, SR 711 (old VA 44), the lengthy SR 738 (old VA 51), routes like those that were decommissioned wholesale).

Technically F-series routes are in the primary system but most of these are not worth inclusion as most don't connect to anything else.

There are likely over 100,000 designated and posted secondary routes in Virginia so, yeah, that ain't happening.

Offline noelbotevera

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 11:55:00 pm »

I'll be honest, no. I only know the one north of Culpeper. It kind of surprises me that there's route duplication between secondaries.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 06:08:33 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 12:03:12 am »

I'll be honest, no. I only know the one north of Culpeper. It kind of surprises me that there's route duplication between secondaries.

There is tons of duplicate numbers in the secondary system in VA.  Each county could, and possibly might have a SR 600 in them.  So, you see why those routes will never make it to this site.  You could even consider VA's secondary system more like County Routes in the way there can be duplicate numbers.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:55:40 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:30 am »

There is tons of duplicate numbers in the secondary system in VA.  Each county could, and possibly might have a SR 600 in them.  So, you see why those routes will never make it to this site.  You could even consider VA's secondary system more like County Routes in the way there can be duplicate numbers.

So for example, if one day we decided to add in SR 620(Braddock Road) east of US 29, it would have to be referenced as SR 620(Fairfax County) as there may be 92 other SR 620s.  (VA has 92 counties with SRs, the independent cities along with Henrico and Arlington counties (plus some towns) do not have them as they maintain their own roads.)

Offline noelbotevera

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 03:34:50 pm »

Hmm, I understand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I'm not sure how to fill the gap between secondary routes. My last trip involved traveling SR 729 north of Culpeper, but I don't know how I would write that in my .list file.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:10:30 pm »
But I'm not sure how to fill the gap between secondary routes. My last trip involved traveling SR 729 north of Culpeper, but I don't know how I would write that in my .list file.

If you travel roads that are not part of the TM data, you simply don't include entries for them.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
Also, you're welcome to put anything you want in your list file if you wanted to track some roads we don't have.  They'll generate error messages in your log file, but cause no harm otherwise. I try to put in entries for any roads I travel that I think are likely to be added to the system some day, so I don't have to try to remember where I traveled if and when those routes are added.