Author Topic: NY: NY 124 North End  (Read 5553 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
NY: NY 124 North End
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:21:38 pm »
So I was looking around in street view, and it appears that NY 124 at NY 35 is similar to NY 344 at NY 22 in Copake Falls: one branch is officially a reference route, but both are signed as NY 124 (complete with an end shield).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
Re: NY: NY 124 North End
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 02:09:57 am »
Only one branch of NY 344 is officially NY 344 eh? Interesting, I'd been under the impression that 124 and 344 were administratively different on account of how they are mapped differently.

If they're not administratively different then either NY 124 needs its reference route branch added or NY 344 needs its removed.
I... am not sure which to favor, honestly. On the one hand, the reference route is a reference route and shouldn't be mapped as a touring route. On the other hand, signs.

Which way we go on this may also have some implication for NY 990V - another case of a reference route with deliberately installed and maintained touring route signs.

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:01:39 pm »
Yeah, the south side of NY 344 is 980F and Spring Street/NY 124 is 983D.  This actually happens a lot, it's just that most aren't noticeable because splits are small enough to fall under one wye intersection (in this example, the north branch of NY 157 913C).  NY 344 and NY 124 would seem to be larger versions of this.  The reason is because NYSDOT's inventory doesn't know what to do with split routes, so one gets signed a reference route number even though both are signed as part of other touring routes.  The same thing happens in NY's Local Highway inventory; at this intersection, for example, one of those roads is inventoried as Pleasantville Drive, and the other as Pleasantville Drive Spur, even though both are de facto Pleasantville Drive.

RE: NY 990V, I believe the story behind that one is that Conesville wanted a touring route and Region 9 decided to simply put shields up for the reference route.  It's certainly the best signed reference route; the other three are signed more sporadically.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline cl94

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:43:37 am
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:28 pm »
990V is a case where the reference route is signedbetter than several TOURING routes in the state. Not only is it fully signed from NY 30, it is signed at regular intervals along the route, along with signs at major intersecting roads. Unlike any other reference route, the legal name of the road is "Route 990V". I'm going to get some major pushback for this, but I'd argue that NY 990V belongs in the system solely because NYSDOT basically considers it equivalent to a touring route. The number of sign replacements the thing has gone through show that it's not a little fluke that the thing is signed. There have been no fewer than 2 total sign replacements along that road that replaced the shields. It's not a case like the other three where shields are infrequent or (in the case of 962J) mostly removed.

Back on the initial topic, NY 71, 124, and 344 are cases where you have long wyes with two legs signed as the main route. For each, only one is actually the touring route. This is really a Region 8 peculiarity. I say either include the other legs of 71/124 or take out 344.

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
I hadn't thought of NY 71, but yeah, that is a bit bigger than a standard wye.  Now I have to think about whether my recent clinch of Region 8 is threatened by that... I suspect that I made sure to clinch both legs (especially as I would have likely looked it up afterwards and discovered that NY 71 is officially the southern leg, after doing the northern on my first drive through), but I'm not 100% sure, and I really don't like the idea of having to drive out all that way for only a quarter mile of road.

Those aren't even the only three, though they are the ones where both legs are state roads.  NY 128 does this too, but the west leg is a county road (or at least, the Functional Class Viewer says it is when clicking on it (despite being classified as a local road and therefore having no symbology; Traffic Data Viewer had even less, which is why I had to find another source of data that I could access from home)... I found a NY 128 reference marker on it).  NY 141 pretends to do this, but given its overlap with NY 100 to NY 9A, it really doesn't (and the connector is a local road signed as NY 100 in one direction anyways).

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:53:22 am »
NY343 @ OldRte22_Dov may or may not get caught in this net too.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:56:10 pm »
NY343 @ OldRte22_Dov may or may not get caught in this net too.
That is certainly an interesting case, especially as NY 343 has an overlap with NY 22 to the north, but signage exists for the "WB" direction (the other way is To NY 22 South).  Also a double wye.

Seven Lakes Drive at US 9W may also qualify.

Meanwhile, though NY 128 has a county road for one leg, I still spotted a reference marker on the county portion.  And the local/county leg of the NY 100/NY 141 split is signed NY 100 one direction and NY 141 in the other.  Route signage here certainly seems to be a mess!

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:48:09 am
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 01:30:23 am »
Is this thread fully completed?  Just trying to mark some old threads (2+ years old since last post) as 'solved' so they can be moved to the other section.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 11:10:10 am »