Author Topic: WY: WY 70 (Battle) should likely be renamed  (Read 1248 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:55 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
WY: WY 70 (Battle) should likely be renamed
« on: July 07, 2021, 11:10:24 am »
So I took a nice loop trip through the Sierra Madres (in Wyoming not Mexico) and was putting my data into my .list file when I noticed that the eastern half of WY 70 in Wyoming uses the designation "Battle" to distinguish it from the western half. However, I saw no evidence of a place called Battle, and only found out it was a place when I looked it up on Wikipedia when I got back. Therefore, I am proposing this route should change to either WY 70 (Battle Pass) or WY 70 (Encampment), whichever seems better.

As this segment is the "mainline", there would be neither alt route names nor updates to list files necessary.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline jayhawkco

• Last Login:February 05, 2024, 01:16:11 pm
Re: WY: WY 70 (Battle) should likely be renamed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 01:24:45 pm »
I'd probably vote for Encampment, as it's really the only town on that stretch.  I don't think we normally use physical features as the designation, do we?

Chris

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:47:40 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 11:51:50 pm »
^ The eastern segment of Yukon route 6 is named "Macmillan Pass", for its major geographic feature. That highway has no permanent residents, though it serves a few summer homes, some mines, and hunters and hikers in the eastern Yukon and a very remote part of the Northwest Territories.

"Battle Pass" is OK with me, though it seems harder to find on a map than Encampment.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:55 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 08:24:57 pm »
^ The eastern segment of Yukon route 6 is named "Macmillan Pass", for its major geographic feature. That highway has no permanent residents, though it serves a few summer homes, some mines, and hunters and hikers in the eastern Yukon and a very remote part of the Northwest Territories.
On that stretch there's no towns though, so Encampment probably makes more sense since it's an actual town.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton