Author Topic: NY: NY 97 at PA 191 Access  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:43:36 am
NY: NY 97 at PA 191 Access
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:13:14 pm »
Instead of having the route look like it directly accesses the PA 191 access via Front St, I am thinking that we should have points at the ends of Front St instead.  (here and here)

Farther south on NY 97, the shaping point near Grassy Swamp Rd should be looked at to consider being a visible point.  Also is HooBroRd correct?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 01:15:49 pm
  • I like C++
Re: NY: NY 97 at PA 191 Access
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:45 pm »
Responding to the items backwards:

HooBroRd -> ChuSt
Lots of recenterings. 7 hidden shaping points replaced with visible, including +X08 -> GraSwaRd.
WFroSt & EFroSt added. ...Should that be WFroSt & EFroSt_W? FroSt_W & FroSt_E? Oh boy...

Indigestion:
PA191 is in use, so just snipping it out would break .list files, which seems a bit much for such a small correction.
4 travelers have clinched west of here to NY17:
bejacob
sbeaver44
terescoj
vespertine
mikeandkristie have their clinch going in the other direction.
One option is to split the difference with a PenAve point, but I doubt that narrow, steep one-way street gets much use instead of the signed connections via Front St.
I like the idea of adding +PA191 as an AltLabel to WFroSt, and just alerting mikeandkristie (et al) via PM when the changes are made.

Nothing committed yet, in case more discussion.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 07:06:55 am »
WFroSt & EFroSt added. ...Should that be WFroSt & EFroSt_W? FroSt_W & FroSt_E? Oh boy...

This is why I did not make any label suggestions. 

I saw this while considering a trip to Cooperstown to the Baseball Hall of Fame in October, and my preliminary (in my head) route plan would include that short section of NY 97 from the eastern Front St intersection to NY 268.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:32:27 am
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:38:36 am »
4 of 5 affected users update regularly, but sbeaver44 hasn't updated in 2 years.

I'm guessing that I followed whatever signs were there in 2011 when I arrived at Front St off the bridge from PA 191 that directed me to NY 17.  That's probably left on Front to the proposed new WFroSt or FroSt_W point.  I agree with putting the PA191 alt label there (keeping sbeaver44 what is probably accurate), truly breaking only mikeandkristie, who typically updates frequently.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:42:10 pm »
Jim, my thoughts exactly. You probably saw this.

This is why I did not make any label suggestions. 
;D

Re EFroSt_W, A potential factor to consider is that while it's become more standard practice over the years, the manual isn't clear on whether to add a multiplex suffix for regular roads rather than routes.

To add more confusion, another possibility is FroSt and FroSt_W, following the multiplex-and-regular convention we see sometimes, such as NE7 with US183.
(Counterintuitive though, considering the prefixes in the street names themselves. Not something I'm seriously considering.)
There may be opposite cases out there, where a "regular" directional suffix clashes with a multiplex split, and gets the nod. Don't know any offhand.

Still leaning toward WFroSt & EFroSt.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 05:43:40 pm »
4 of 5 affected users update regularly, but sbeaver44 hasn't updated in 2 years.

Hopefully sbeaver44 will update again soon.  He recently took a long trip as he stated on the AARoads Forum.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:32:27 am
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 05:46:41 pm »

Hopefully sbeaver44 will update again soon.  He recently took a long trip as he stated on the AARoads Forum.

If nothing else, he can be given a heads up there with a direct message.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++