Author Topic: WA: Olympic Peninsula/NP notes  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:13:17 pm
WA: Olympic Peninsula/NP notes
« on: September 02, 2024, 10:27:26 pm »
There is a signed (from eastbound US 101) Truck US 101, explicitly following WA 117. No signage along WA 117, and from westbound US 101, only a generic Truck Route marker. On the ground, the route would follow Marine to downtown Port Angeles to meet with US 101 there. With only signage approaching the WA 117 exit going eastbound, however, I can see justification in not adding it, particularly along Marine.

What are the determinations for Olympic NP roads? We have only two: Upper Hoh Road, and Hurricane Ridge Road, but there are a number that probably could be included, as they are signed as park destinations from US 101, WA 110, 110S, 112, or 119.

From the Olympic NP map, these include:
--US 101
·South Shore Road/Graves Creek Road
·North Shore Road
·NFS 21, 2180, 2180-010, 2100 (all one road), connecting from US 101 to Upper Queets Valley Road in the park
·Lower Queets Valley Road
·Sol Duc Hot Springs Road
·Olympic Hot Springs Road
·Race Street (access to Hurricane Ridge Road)*

--WA 110
·La Push Road from the end of 110 to First Beach

--WA 110S
·Mora Road from the end of 110S to Rialto Beach

--WA 112
·Hoko-Ozette Road

--WA 119
·NFS 24 from the end of 119 to Staircase Ranger Station

I'll note that some are not within the Park itself, but are the connection from the Park to their respective routes, but Upper Hoh Road is already providing a precedent here.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:52:54 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: WA: Olympic Peninsula/NP notes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 11:50:36 pm »
What are the determinations for Olympic NP roads? We have only two: Upper Hoh Road, and Hurricane Ridge Road, but there are a number that probably could be included, as they are signed as park destinations from US 101, WA 110, 110S, 112, or 119.

--US 101

A source of consternation in the hot springs community. Prolonged washouts, and NPS threats of permanent closure of most of the road and the hot springs at the end of the road. Needs more research before adding it to the HB.

I clinched the road, and soaked in some of the hot springs, in 2007 before things started going downhill.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:13:17 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 12:10:00 am »

--US 101

A source of consternation in the hot springs community. Prolonged washouts, and NPS threats of permanent closure of most of the road and the hot springs at the end of the road. Needs more research before adding it to the HB.

I clinched the road, and soaked in some of the hot springs, in 2007 before things started going downhill.
That would make a mess of things.

One I wouldn't mind being added is Cape Flattery Road, but that one falls with the Makah Reservation and not in the Park.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 08:17:01 am
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 01:36:31 pm »
I don't think any of the routed mentioned rise to the threshold of being included. Is there justification for adding any routes outside the NP boundaries that aren't signed state routes?

Other than the missing graph connection from US101 to the start of Hurricane Ridge Rd, why else should Race St be added and which system would it be part of (usanp?)?

I might be wrong, but isn't most of Hoko-Ozette Rd outside the NP boundaries?

For North Shore and South Shore roads, how far from US101 would you suggest including? Only the paved portion? As far as the bridge to complete the Lake Quinault loop? Where the gravel roads end and the trailheads begin? Seems like a bit of a slippery slope.

I can almost see the justification for La Push Rd and Mora Rd, but are they significant enough to include?

I drove almost all of these roads this summer, so from a personal standpoint, I'd love the additional mileage. Looking at what fits the definition of the NP system (Select National Park Highways), I'm not sure they merit inclusion.

Definitely and interesting topic and one I'll be following closely.