Author Topic: HI: Crater Rim Drive  (Read 1005 times)

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 06:25:48 pm
HI: Crater Rim Drive
« on: March 05, 2022, 11:34:14 am »
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/images/HAVO_S2_FinalParkReview2.png
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/craterrimtour.htm

Above links shows Crater Rim drive open to what NPS calls "Uēkahuna" (based on their interactive map - this looks to be the same as the former Jaggar Museum which might tell me that they tore down the building site.  I wanted to bring this to your attention, however - I will give you a more detailed report mid-April after I field check it. (yes, I did say that - and I'm seriously going to be on the Big Island during that time).
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AK: I; AZ: I; AR: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; HI: I; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I; NE: I; NJ, I; ND: I; OH: I; OK: I; PA: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI;

*Previously completed

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:07:14 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: HI: Crater Rim Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 01:43:10 pm »
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/images/HAVO_S2_FinalParkReview2.png
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/craterrimtour.htm

Above links shows Crater Rim drive open to what NPS calls "Uēkahuna" (based on their interactive map - this looks to be the same as the former Jaggar Museum which might tell me that they tore down the building site.  I wanted to bring this to your attention, however - I will give you a more detailed report mid-April after I field check it. (yes, I did say that - and I'm seriously going to be on the Big Island during that time).

Mahalo nui loa for the update.

OSM indicates the reopened road extends a little past the terminus indicated on the NPS map, which is a cross-trail for the Namakanipaio campground on HI 11, as well as with what OSM shows as a side road to the (former?) Jaggar Museum/Hawaii Volcano Observatory site. Could you confirm, in your field check, whether the road ends at that trail/side road per the NPS map, or a little beyond per OSM? Also, whether there's any indication that the road was realigned before it was reopened? That would also remind me to pull in an adjustment to Crater Rim Dr.

My last visit to Hawaii in early 2019 included a day trip (from Maui) to the Big Island. I revisited the park, to the end of Chain of Craters Rd. and the new one-lane emergency escape road more or less following the destroyed part of Chain of Craters. But I didn't have time to update Crater Rim Dr., which appeared to be still closed at that point.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 08:26:19 pm by oscar »

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 06:12:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:48:40 pm »
I'm on the Big Island as I type this. Crater Rim Drive is in fact open to the parking lot at the now closed, but not demolished Jagger Museum. The building is surrounded by a chain link fence though the adjacent restrooms are open. The parking lot is as far as you can go on Crater Rim Drive. No realignment since my last visit in 2015. At the other end, part of the former route after the intersection with Chain of Craters Rd is now only accessible by foot. There is a temporary overlook for lava viewing about a mile from the intersection. Had great views after dark. No adjustments needed on that end. Just adding info for context.

As for Chain of Craters Rd, it ends at the Holei Sea Arch. What's in the Highway Browser is correct.

Once I update my recent travels, I'll have clinched all of the Big Island routes. Third island complete after Oahu and Kauai. Next trip might be the one where I reach 100% for the state.

Offline SSOWorld

• Last Login:Yesterday at 06:25:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 06:48:20 pm »
Nice.  (I'll have to remember to bring a flashlight/lantern).

Guess someone beat me to it 😁 Mahalo nui loa bejacob.

I'll keep an eye out elsewhere but the obvious is the NPS routes.  I'll be on Oahu first, then the big island.  I know that Hawaii's signing strategy is very poor.
Completed:
* Systems: DC, WI
* by US State: AK: I; AZ: I; AR: I; DE: I; DC: I, US, DC; HI: I; IL: I; IN: I*; IA: I, KS: I; MD: I, MA: I, MI: I; MN: I; MO: I; NE: I; NJ, I; ND: I; OH: I; OK: I; PA: I; RI: I; SD: I; WA: I; WV: I; WI: I,US,WI;

*Previously completed

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 06:12:23 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 08:23:28 pm »
I know that Hawaii's signing strategy is very poor.

Biggest issue I encountered on the Big Island is that state and county highways use the same signage. Had to make sure HI180 was a county road (it is) rather than worry about clinching it. I drove part of it and it's far narrower and more winding than the state routes. I think the issue with county/state routes using the same signage happens across most, if not all, of the islands.

Have fun clinching. When in doubt on the status (county/state) check the HB. It's spot on.  :)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:07:14 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 01:25:49 pm »
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/5661
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/5662 (Updates table item)

File edited to extend CraRimDr west to NamPaioTr (at closed Jaggar Museum site); slightly move VisCen point to Kilaeua Visitor Center (near east end of segment added to HB); add LavaTubeTr point to replace hidden shaping point; and insert new shaping point, to keep CraRimDr route trace separate from HI 11's.

BTW, most of the original Crater Rim Dr. has not been reopened, including the part that collapsed into the south side of the  Halemaumau Crater, which would need to be realigned if the loop were to be completely reopened.

==================

Re: discussion of confusing Hawaii route signage, there are very few county routes on Oahu with signed route numbers. All of them are remnant signs, or contractor errors, since Honolulu County long ago stopped numbering county routes (except perhaps internally, such as for GIS purposes).

Maui island (but not the rest of Maui County) has some county routes with route number signage unlike state route markers. The variants range from clever to ugly, though most of the nonstandard signage has been disappearing lately (thankfully including the fugly bloated versions of the standard state markers).

The usual similarity of state and county route markers in Hawaii is a carryover from the unified route numbering system adopted pre-statehood, which continued until 1968 when Hawaii DOT created separate state and county route networks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:36:39 pm by oscar »

Offline mikeandkristie

• Last Login:June 11, 2024, 01:57:05 am
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 12:00:55 pm »
Could you add a shaping point in between KilMilCamp and NamPaioTr?  Because right now, if you switch to satellite view you can see that the line actually flies out over the crater.

Glad to hear that they have fixed some of the roads and gotten parts back open.  It was closed just before the KilMilCamp point at the road that goes along the right of the camp when we were there in October 2019.  We actually got to experience the rare time of the volcano not erupting.  Less exciting, but much better air quality.

Mike