Author Topic: jpnsks - Japanese Shinkansen Lines  (Read 759 times)

Offline nezinscot

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 30, 2024, 08:41:22 pm
jpnsks - Japanese Shinkansen Lines
« on: December 13, 2023, 01:20:07 pm »
Newly added system jpnsks contains all the physical shinkansen lines.  The shinkansen-only rail lines, not the services.  Because infrastructure is the basis, there are no concurrencies, plus the Akita and Yamagata mini-shinkansen lines are not included because they have no unique-to-them shinkansen-only rail.

Shinkansen lines are actually owned by one or more members of the JR Group.  I chose to separate them out so that they would not be spread across five systems.

I looked through the various railway data threads and to me it seemed that the infrastructure vs service choice isn't completely settled.  Should I continue using infrastructure for jpnsks, or switch to service?  Visitors use services, Japanese railfans use infrastructure - what is our target audience?

For the Japanese railfan perspective, see https://www.noritsubushi.org/ - a web site where >50K users track their rail travels in Japan.  Noritsubushi translates to Ride Samurai / Ride Warrior.  Currently 812 people have ridden all the JR lines and 149 have ridden everything.  Japanese railfans usually track their travels based on rail line.  If they track a service name, it is decomposed into its component rail line segments.  Because of this there are almost no concurrencies in their tracking.