Author Topic: NY: Random point comments  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Mr_Matté

• Last Login:September 16, 2024, 11:26:07 pm
NY: Random point comments
« on: August 02, 2023, 09:19:28 am »
Just from my travels this past week, I have some comments/questions/requests. Not as familiar with the TM gists/logistics of point additions so please forgive me if asking too much. Note that not all of these directly affect me. :)

1) NY207, would it be possible to add a point here? There was a discussion previously in this area about whether or not NY 17M exists along Matthews Street east of here, there's one sign for NY 17M wb traffic further east of here, but nothing for eb. There is a point at the crossing of 207/17A/17M at FutI86/NY17, so maybe this was considered previously and ruled out because of how close this point is.
2) NY173, can a point be added at East Brighton Avenue in Syracuse? This point is a logical connection point to I-481 exit 1.
3) NY370, I would suggest a point be added at CR 57 in Liverpool. This makes sense as it's a former state route and leads to a Thruway interchange.
4) NY429Truck is signed in Tonawanda along Robinson Street (NY265/384 to Oliver Street, then up Oliver to NY 429)
5) LaSExpy and NiaScePkwyNia, again a previous discussion about this area but no formal response appears to have been made. My suggestion is to make the trumpet from I-190 21A to the east LaSExpy and extend NiaScePkwy along the "ramp" to LaSExpy (due to the northbound shield on the ramp and the MP 0.0)
6) NY18, I'm assuming the point being named "LakeOntPkwy" is for simplification over the more precise "LakeOntPkwySprCar"?

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:43:29 am
Re: NY: Random point comments
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 12:08:31 pm »
4) NY429Truck is signed in Tonawanda along Robinson Street (NY265/384 to Oliver Street, then up Oliver to NY 429)

I think we have officially said "no" to these, but I was surprised to see a "New" banner for it.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:08:52 am
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 06:27:10 pm »
5) LaSExpy and NiaScePkwyNia, again a previous discussion about this area but no formal response appears to have been made. My suggestion is to make the trumpet from I-190 21A to the east LaSExpy and extend NiaScePkwy along the "ramp" to LaSExpy (due to the northbound shield on the ramp and the MP 0.0)

I concur with this and was going to post something suggesting it but you beat me to it. :)

6) NY18, I'm assuming the point being named "LakeOntPkwy" is for simplification over the more precise "LakeOntPkwySprCar"?

Yes, waypoint labeling standards proscribe the use of more than two words other than the generic suffix.

Offline Mr_Matté

• Last Login:September 16, 2024, 11:26:07 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 11:31:54 pm »
7) Can a point be added along NY 266 for the northern Unity Island Park entrance? https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/42.93141/-78.89993&layers=N

Online yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:26:47 am
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 03:10:27 pm »
1) NY207, would it be possible to add a point here? There was a discussion previously in this area about whether or not NY 17M exists along Matthews Street east of here, there's one sign for NY 17M wb traffic further east of here, but nothing for eb. There is a point at the crossing of 207/17A/17M at FutI86/NY17, so maybe this was considered previously and ruled out because of how close this point is.
That's essentially it, yeah. 1PPI (1 Point Per Interchange), with North Connector Rd interpreted as a glorified set of ramp termini.
As for NY17M itself, in the HB it splits from NY17 at exit 124 and cuts across the "couplet' straight to SouSt. There's no point at NY207 & North Connector, as one direction of the route doesn't pass through there. NY207 follows suit, and goes 1PPI.
That said, if both directions of the route passed through, I definitely would include a point.
OTOH, one point per interchange, is it? What if there weren't an interchange in here gumming things up?
When only surface roads have been involved, I've sometimes put points where a route that's concurrent in only one direction splits off. Other times I may not have, though no examples come to mind.
Post a reply; make an argument for or against. Convince m one way or the other.

2) NY173, can a point be added at East Brighton Avenue in Syracuse? This point is a logical connection point to I-481 exit 1.
Added.

3) NY370, I would suggest a point be added at CR 57 in Liverpool. This makes sense as it's a former state route and leads to a Thruway interchange.
Pretty close to OswSt, but what the hey. It's SR931G, signed TO CR57, which begins at Tulip St. OswSt_W added; existing OswSt relabeled OswSt_E.
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/6845

I'll respond over in that thread in order to keep discussion in one place, and close this one out.

7) Can a point be added along NY 266 for the northern Unity Island Park entrance? https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/42.93141/-78.89993&layers=N

Eh. I'll pass on this one. Waypoint density is already quite thick in that area, and this appears more of a driveway than a road.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:08:52 am
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 07:38:32 pm »

Eh. I'll pass on this one. Waypoint density is already quite thick in that area, and this appears more of a driveway than a road.

Worth noting for context, the tour of the recent Buffalo meet turned off of NY 266 to head to Unity Island from the south, and then after leaving Unity Island made a right turn and headed back south.

Anyone on that tour (a record-breaking 39 people, not sure how many are TM users) who didn't independently drive that section of NY 266 thru will have it clinched to that specific point.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:43:29 am
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 08:41:04 pm »
I prioritized clinching NY 384 over NY 266.  I did finish NY 266 south of Unity Island though.