Author Topic: usaamtk: Amtrak  (Read 2138 times)

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:01:04 am
usaamtk: Amtrak
« on: April 13, 2024, 12:05:23 am »
Good to see this in preview; hope it stays.

The Amtrak line and the Metro Electric line in Chicago are two separate lines (Amtrak uses the 2+ freight tracks to the east). Connections between the two sets of tracks, if any, are extremely limited; the electric tracks simply dead-end after University Park.

The line south of Memphis (just north of the state line) should probably be midway between the two rights-of-way. The 2007 CN timetable shows it as a normal two-track line, and I don't see any special conditions listed.

The line in northeastern Charlotte should be separated from NC BluLn; the two have separate tracks with no connections and no shared stations.

More to come, maybe.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:16:28 am by neroute2 »

Offline ntallyn

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:September 09, 2024, 03:27:58 pm
Re: usaamtk: Amtrak
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 04:16:12 pm »
I believe the only "shared" station along the Metra Electric line is Homewood. And there's no cross-ticketing or anything like that, just two stations that are in close proximity to each other. I believe they share the same pedestrian tunnel under the tracks, but that's about it.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 04:41:28 pm »
Is it just me, or are the traveled Amtrak and untraveled light rail colors very close? https://tmrail.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=neroute2&rg=NC

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:29:48 am
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 05:15:29 pm »
Is it just me, or are the traveled Amtrak and untraveled light rail colors very close? https://tmrail.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?units=miles&u=neroute2&rg=NC
Yes - the colour would be purple, but as an easter egg system, it got a different colour for now (like usatr).

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 11:50:03 am »
What happened to this system? Is there a reason it wasn't considered ready for preview?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 02:37:36 pm »
What happened to this system? Is there a reason it wasn't considered ready for preview?
It was an easter egg - it was never meant to stay in preview long-term - not least because it has errors, and also because it wasn't mine to make.

It's still there (now with Borealis as that was an easy exercise in copy-paste), just at the devel level. Not only are the files not gone, but you can still look at them in the browser (just not mapview)!

If you, or anyone else, want to restore it, it's a really easy change to do! You might want to address some of the issues that need fixing (quite a few around Chicago) when you do that.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:13:35 am
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 11:15:28 pm »
Something I know will need to be addressed: there have definitely been changes made to commuter rail lines Amtrak runs concurrent with since this was drafted. All those changes will need to be copied over.

For this reason I had kind of thinking it may be best to make sure the commuter rail systems are in order before bringing Amtrak back up - easier to move those updates over all at once.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:52:54 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 06:28:09 pm »
A pair of point requests for the Illinois part of Amtrak's Southwest Chief line. The Amtrak system is in-development for now.

I rode the Southwest Chief non-stop between Los Angeles and Chicago, sometime in the late 1960s/early 1970s, as part of a family trip to Traverse City MI, via the former Republic Airlines. But since then the Southwest Chief was rerouted between Galesburg and Chicago. It used to run through Chiilicothe (one of the few details I remember from that trip), over the Chillicothe Subdivision tracks. Now it runs on the Mendota Subdivision tracks, well north of Chillicothe, as well as the Chicago Subdivision.

I request points I can use in my rlist file. One is for the Southwest Chief route file, at the junction of the Mendota Division tracks and the Cameron Connector tracks southwest of Galesburg. There is no waypoint there yet. The other would go where the Chiilicothe Division tracks meet the tracks north to Chicago's Union Station (via the Freeport and Chicago subdivisions), which would be at the Southwest Chief route file's +DIV_SWS/HC waypoint, but made a non-hidden point.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 02:56:29 am by oscar »

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2024, 09:34:09 pm »
What does the = mean for Trenton on NJ CA and others?

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2024, 10:15:03 pm »
I request points I can use in my rlist file. One is for the Southwest Chief route file, at the junction of the Mendota Division tracks and the Cameron Connector tracks southwest of Galesburg. There is no waypoint there yet. The other would go where the Chiilicothe Division tracks meet the tracks north to Chicago's Union Station (via the Freeport and Chicago subdivisions), which would be at the Southwest Chief route file's +DIV_SWS/HC waypoint, but made a non-hidden point.

The first point should be at the junction of the Chillicothe Subdivision and Cameron Connector tracks, SW of Galesburg. That has no waypoint. There is a point nearby, but that's for the junction of the Ottumwa Subdivision (which connects to the Mendota Subdivision into Chicago) and Cameron Connector tracks. Sorry for my initial confusion.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 08:40:39 am by oscar »

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2024, 04:41:51 am »
I'm currently going thru the Amtrak routes, including adding former stations and old alignment splits. So I'll check it out when I get to SW.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2024, 04:01:50 pm »
What does the = mean for Trenton on NJ CA and others?
Typo

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2024, 05:26:35 pm »

The first point should be at the junction of the Chillicothe Subdivision and Cameron Connector tracks, SW of Galesburg. That has no waypoint. There is a point nearby, but that's for the junction of the Ottumwa Subdivision (which connects to the Mendota Subdivision into Chicago) and Cameron Connector tracks. Sorry for my initial confusion.

The first is +DIV_Cam; the second is +DIV_SWS/HC. Use those in your list file.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2024, 10:45:39 pm »
It's back to preview. I'm currently fixing a few minor overlap issues in Illinois, Ohio, and Oregon, and adding more former stations.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2024, 12:15:37 am »

The first is +DIV_Cam; the second is +DIV_SWS/HC. Use those in your list file.

Thanx.