Author Topic: NC: NC81 two missing waypoints and possible waypoint adjustment  (Read 2278 times)

Offline kurzov

• Last Login:June 05, 2024, 02:41:55 pm
Hello - I was recording some travels of mine from the past which were erroneously unmarked on my TM list file - one of these was on NC-81 in Asheville. My travel stopped at the Glendale Avenue intersection (west of US 74A concurrency), which does not have a waypoint. The Caledonia Street / NC-81 intersection (west of Glendale Avenue, east of Biltmore Avenue) also needs a waypoint.

Lastly, the area where NC-81 turns southward (Bryson Street/Biltmore Avenue) seems slightly odd, with the (apparent) road split and nearby intersection. I'm not sure if it needs adjusting there.

Online rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:30 pm
Re: NC: NC81 two missing waypoints and possible waypoint adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 11:23:17 am »
Hello - I was recording some travels of mine from the past which were erroneously unmarked on my TM list file - one of these was on NC-81 in Asheville. My travel stopped at the Glendale Avenue intersection (west of US 74A concurrency), which does not have a waypoint. The Caledonia Street / NC-81 intersection (west of Glendale Avenue, east of Biltmore Avenue) also needs a waypoint.

Just so you know, we normally look at having gaps of around 2 miles in urban areas, unless the roads are really major, or connect to freeway exits, or are a major POI that people might be going to (like an amusement park or a National Park entrance).

The 2 points your recommending are inside of a 1.5 mile distance between points.  When looking @ Caledonia, it looks like it's just a common road into a residential area, which normally doesn't gain a point here, unless it's really needed for shaping reasons.  Glendale Avenue seems to be the same case here too sadly.

However, since I'm not the one currently maintaining NC, I will obviously defer to mapmikey who will have the final comment here since he's the state's current maintainer.

Lastly, the area where NC-81 turns southward (Bryson Street/Biltmore Avenue) seems slightly odd, with the (apparent) road split and nearby intersection. I'm not sure if it needs adjusting there.

Seems to be mapped correctly when I took a look @ GSV.  OSM has it wrong.

Offline kurzov

• Last Login:June 05, 2024, 02:41:55 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 12:02:49 pm »
Oh, okay. I understand.

Online rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 09:31:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 10:05:23 pm »
Oh, okay. I understand.

Np.  We always try to have points that most people will & can use.  However, we have a general rule to not add points if that's where you turn to access your/family's homes.  Now, if those roads were for something like major 'signed' bike routes, then there's a good argument for adding them.

As for that Bryson Street/Biltmore Avenue part, just looked @ historical GSV, and sometime between May '19 & Sep '21, they changed the signage around there.  Back in May '19 and before, they told EB traffic to turn onto Swannanoa River Rd.  However, they changed that to turn @ Bryson St to continue on EB NC-81.  So, because of that change, having the point directly on the Bryson Street/Biltmore Avenue intersection is correct here.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:40:01 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 10:17:59 pm »
concur with no build here...