Author Topic: zaff: South Africa Select Freeways  (Read 3792 times)

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:58:14 pm
zaff: South Africa Select Freeways
« on: June 12, 2024, 11:20:59 pm »
I feel like I’ve gotten decently used to how South Africa’s highways work, so I might as well knock out this peer review.

AirFwyJoh:
Is there a reason why this is concurrent with the Albertina Sisulu Freeway (which is actually signed on overhead signs, unlike the Airport Freeway) north of R24?
AlbSisFwy:
BraRd: Numbered as exit 13, but only westbound. If you change this point, you could also change the point on R24 as well.
ArtHopHwy:
35: Should be N3.
BenSchHwy:
331→330. This also affects the point on N14.
BlaRivPkwy: No issues.
BloByp: No issues.
CapeFlaFwy: No issues.
DanJouFwy: No issues.
DesKarByp: No issues.
EasBypJoh:
Missing a point at exit 119A.
119: This exit is signed as 119B southbound, and 119 northbound. In my opinion, the point should be renamed for clarity, but it could be left as is.
112→110. All three concurrent routes also have the wrong exit number.
EasFwyJoh and EasFwyPre:
What is the rationale for assigning the stretch of N4 east of eMalahleni to EasFwyJoh (which is otherwise N12) instead of EasFwyPre? At the point where the two freeways meet, the through direction is implied to be N4, while N12 is signed as the exit.
EastLonByp: No issues.
FraObeFwy:
10: The only offramp from the Francois Oberholzer Freeway to West Street doesn’t have an exit number. The number 10 is used instead for the eastbound and westbound ramps to M1 northbound.
11: Doesn’t have an exit number in either direction. Rissik Street is signed on both signs, so RisSt wouldn’t be a bad name for this point.
12: Should be MooiSt. Doesn’t have an exit number.
15→20.
16: Should be ChiSt. Doesn’t have an exit number.
M39: Is not M39. Should be RefRd.
FWKBlvd: No issues.
GeoByp: No issues.
GopHurRd: No issues.
IALFwy:
Missing a point at exit 5.
JSMarHwy:
I think Caversham Road could have its own point separate from 17.
N3→15.
KingCetHwy:
N3→15.
KroPkwy: No issues.
KroTollRte: No issues.
KulRivFwy: No issues.
M7FwyDur: No issues.
MagTollRd: No issues.
N1FwyCap:
Missing a point at Century City Drive between exits 10 and 13.
N2FwyCap: No issues.
N7FwyCap: No issues.
N7FwyMal:
Broken concurrency with N7 between 50 and 65.
R45_W→71.
NelManBlvd: No issues.
NorCoaTollRd: No issues.
NorFwyPre:
R33→258. This also affects the N1 point.
OutRingRd:
Missing a point at exit 152.
170 and 170A: Both are signed merely as 170. Therefore, I think they should be renamed to M19 and M21, respectively.
PlaHwy:
N4 remains a freeway going west all the way to exit 207.
PortEliByp:
702: This exit is two miles beyond the end of the divided highway.
Missing a point at The Windfarm service plaza (which allows drivers to turn around) between 713 and 724.
BayWestBlvd→736. This also affects the N2 point.
RuthFirHwy:
Missing a point at Isaiah Ntshangase Road between M17 and 2.
Missing points at Aubrey Drive and Ann Abor Road between 5 and RidRd. (Or you could just add one point at Park Drive.)
SetWayCap: No issues.
SetWayGqe: No issues.
SimStelFwy: No issues.
SouBypJoh:
406: Not signed as exit 406, except on N17. Should be N17 or 105.
SouFwyDur:
Missing a point at Bjorseth Crescent between 137 and 138.
SouFwyJoh:
Missing a point at exit 82 (a service plaza where drivers can turn around).
SouFwyPre: No issues.
SprFwy: No issues.
SybNieFwy: No issues.
UmgRd:
M5→14.
VilGramMwy:
18 and 19: Both of these are signed as exit 19. Therefore, I think these points should be renamed to R25 and M20, respectively.
M68→1.
WesBypJoh:
67a: No part of exit 67 is signed as 67A. Should be 67A.
WesFwyDur: No issues.
2A: Signed as 2 eastbound and 3 westbound. Not signed as 2A anywhere.

What’s the rationale behind adding in a bunch of freeways that are entirely concurrent with routes already in TM? This diverges from the standard practice in other “select” systems of only including freeways that are at least partially excluded from existing non-select systems, even when the non-select routes are from systems considered to be a lower tier than select freeways (e.g., U.S. state highways). For simplicity’s sake, I think we should delete all of the routes in zaff except the following: ArtHopFwy, BlaRivPkwy, CapeFlaFwy, FraObeFwy, IALFwy, JSMarHwy, KingCetHwy, KroPkwy, KulRivFwy, M7FwyDur, MagTollRd, RuthFirHwy, SetWayGqe, SimStelFwy, UmgRd, and VilGramMwy.

Also, I think the stretch of M25/Curnick Ndlovu Highway between R102/M5and M26 in Durban could be added to this system.

Edit: I just noticed that adding an "A" to the end of an exit number is the explicitly recommended choice for when two exits share the same number. Please disregard the comments I made about that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 01:44:18 pm by shiggins »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:00:59 am
Re: zaff: South Africa Select Freeways
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 03:00:51 pm »
What’s the rationale behind adding in a bunch of freeways that are entirely concurrent with routes already in TM?

I think it's similar to how we deal with freeways in countries without a dedicated freeway system. Those countries did not have any tier 1 TM system until we introduced virtual tier 1 systems based on "motorway signposting" in the field, e.g. https://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?sys=normot,finmt,swemot,ltuaut,dnkmot,mkdap

This diverges from the standard practice in other “select” systems of only including freeways that are at least partially excluded from existing non-select systems

The difference to the above mentioned systems is that zaff is a tier 2 system and the name includes "Select". @si404 why did you do so?

btw, I think that we should apply the same standard to the South American countries @neroute2.

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 05:29:34 pm »
I think it's similar to how we deal with freeways in countries without a dedicated freeway system. Those countries did not have any tier 1 TM system until we introduced virtual tier 1 systems based on "motorway signposting" in the field, e.g. https://travelmapping.net/user/mapview.php?sys=normot,finmt,swemot,ltuaut,dnkmot,mkdap

Ah. Looking at the system from that perspective, it makes a lot more sense. If we include everything with blue signs in zaff, it is no longer a "select" system. My suggestion to add part of Curnick Ndlovu Highway would get thrown out if we made that the standard, since it has green signs.

Also, I suggest that we change the color to blue. This would match the signs as well as the other non-select freeway systems we have in TM.

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 09:02:14 pm »
I have looked along the national highways for blue-signed freeways not currently in zaff, and I have found the following (mostly small) stretches:
N1 in Worcester at exit 108.
N1 in Kroonstad, exit 393 to 402.
N1/Polokwane Bypass, exit 396 to 408.
N2 in Port Shepstone, exit 45 to 51.
N2 near Empangeni, exit 315 to 327.
N4 east of exit 207 (as mentioned above).
N4, exit 153 to 160 (extension of EasFwyJoh).
N12/Moroka Bypass, from exit 368 east to N1 (although a recently constructed informal settlement has made the stretch from exit 368 to R554 de facto not limited access).
There is one blue sign on N14 at the western terminus of R114 in Muldersdrift (All the other signs at the interchange are green), so SouFwyPre could be extended one point west.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 01:53:27 pm by shiggins »

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 01:37:51 am »
Three more freeways with blue signs not currently in zaff:
M3/Rhodes Drive in Capetown, N2 to exit 8
R57, exit 231 (Free State) to exit 2 (Gauteng)
R80 (entire length)

Offline shiggins

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 10:02:37 pm »
CurNdlHwy: No issues.
EasFwyJoh (eastern extension): No issues.
KroByp: No issues.
MabHwy: No issues.
MorByp:
380: Exit is unnumbered. Should be R553.
NorCoaTollRdEmp: No issues.
PlaHwy (western extension):
Missing a point at this unnumbered exit for Bapong.
PolByp: No issues.
PortSheByp: No issues.
R57Fwy: No issues.
RhoDr:
RugRd→MadCir.

With the inclusion of the green-signed Curnick Ndlovu Highway, it is now appropriate to retain "select" in the name of the system to indicate that it includes an additional road that meets all the criteria to be a freeway except the blue signs.