Author Topic: NY: Syracuse area mile-based exit numbers  (Read 3240 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 03:43:47 pm
    • New York State Roads
NY: Syracuse area mile-based exit numbers
« on: July 03, 2024, 10:46:49 pm »
The press release for the mile-based exit numbers around Syracuse has a link to a PDF with a table of the old/new numbers around Region 3 (it's right before the politicians start sharing their thoughts).  Posts on the AARoads forum note that the conversion has begun, with old exits 9 and 10 on I-81 already changed.

The thing is, this is going to be messy.  The exits outside of the construction area for all the various projects associated with I-81 are set to change this year.  That's I-81 exits 9-16 and 30-37, I-690 exits 1-8, and NY 481.  I-81 in Regions 7 (exits 38-52) and 9 (exits 1-8) are TBD.  The remainder will convert as the signs are replaced as part of the I-81 projects.  This will result in duplicate numbers for 38/39, 50, and 52 on I-81 for an indeterminate length of time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 03:37:24 am
Re: NY: Syracuse area mile-based exit numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 05:42:34 am »
The press release for the mile-based exit numbers around Syracuse has a link to a PDF with a table of the old/new numbers around Region 3 (it's right before the politicians start sharing their thoughts).  Posts on the AARoads forum note that the conversion has begun, with old exits 9 and 10 on I-81 already changed.

The thing is, this is going to be messy.  The exits outside of the construction area for all the various projects associated with I-81 are set to change this year.  That's I-81 exits 9-16 and 30-37, I-690 exits 1-8, and NY 481.  I-81 in Regions 7 (exits 38-52) and 9 (exits 1-8) are TBD.  The remainder will convert as the signs are replaced as part of the I-81 projects.  This will result in duplicate numbers for 38/39, 50, and 52 on I-81 for an indeterminate length of time.

For I-81, will this mean the part north of 'current' I/NY-481' will be gaining brand new enhanced MM's too factoring in the 'future' reroute of I-81 onto I-481?

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 03:43:47 pm
    • New York State Roads
Re: NY: Syracuse area mile-based exit numbers
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 11:18:38 am »

For I-81, will this mean the part north of 'current' I/NY-481' will be gaining brand new enhanced MM's too factoring in the 'future' reroute of I-81 onto I-481?
I presume eventually, but I don't know the schedule on that.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how they handle tenth mile markers.  I-690/NY 690 and NY 481 use the enhanced ones.  I-81 south of Syracuse uses the standard ones.  I'd like to see Region 3 convert to using the standard ones (leaving the enhanced ones for the full miles) because IMO they look nicer, but who knows.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that I want it means that they're destined to do the opposite, given the existence of BL 81 and the way the exit numbers are being handled (starting conversion too early relative to the other work, no coordination with Regions 7/9, I-690 not including NY 690, etc.).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.