Author Topic: Idea for an unranked user showing all limited access routes  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:05:09 pm
Idea for an unranked user showing all limited access routes
« on: August 06, 2024, 04:01:42 pm »
Along the lines of the 6lane.list effort, I wonder if there's any interest in creating a similar unranked user list file for all limited-access segments of routes in TM.  The data in 6lane.list got me thinking about ways to incorporate that information into some graphs for my Algorithms class in the spring, and that got me thinking that graphs augmented with data about all limited access routes, regardless of the number of lanes, might be more interesting (not sure).

Online neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:46:49 pm
Re: Idea for an unranked user showing all limited access routes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 06:10:18 pm »
It would have to be very well defined. Do we want full freeways? Anything with no driveway access? Freeways with occasional side streets (common in developing countries)? How many interchanges in a row?

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:17:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 07:06:54 pm »
I've mocked up a user called 'freeway' with Ireland (Republic and Northern), Scotland and Wales covered. Basic caveat that it's late and there's no doubt I've been too generous in places (especially as I got more tired pushing to finish it). It would have been easier with a definition.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 07:15:10 pm »
There's no rush on this, so I'm happy to discuss the rules for inclusion for a bit.

How about this?  Include any segments such that both ends are interchanges and there are no ways on or off in between that are intended for the average traveler.  So a dirt road driveway is ok, as would be things like emergency accesses or accesses through service areas.  I'm not thrilled that this would eliminate things like I-587 in Kingston, which has roundabouts at both ends, but I do want to eliminate situations where there's a single interchange and normal intersections in either direction.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2024, 08:06:13 pm »
Happy to hear other proposals for what to include.

Online neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2024, 08:34:52 pm »
I'm not opposed to those criteria, but it's worth noting that the 2 interchange definition would include a bunch of bridges (if they're part of included routes). For example:
Brooklyn Bridge
Gramercy Bridge (unless the north end disqualifies it)
Huey Long Bridge (New Orleans, though the one at Baton Rouge might count too)
Ross Island Bridge (unless the east end disqualifies it)
Aurora Bridge
Even more so in certain countries; is this a freeway? It has two interchanges in a row, with only a short bridge between them.

On the other hand, the Dumbarton Bridge would not count, because the west end is an intersection.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Today at 03:53:58 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2024, 09:45:20 pm »
I don't like "must end at an interchange" because it would mean that things like the western 2.5 miles of NY 531 wouldn't be included, even though NY 531 is definitely a freeway its entire length.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:39:32 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2024, 01:02:11 pm »
I'd rather like to have a  system so that I can track my travels for limited-access routes.

Online neroute2

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2024, 04:13:18 pm »
I'd rather like to have a  system so that I can track my travels for limited-access routes.
Would it be feasible to have some sort of comparison feature between users? Then you could see how much of freeway's travels you've been on.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 06:54:36 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2024, 02:38:17 am »
I'm not opposed to those criteria, but it's worth noting that the 2 interchange definition would include a bunch of bridges (if they're part of included routes). For example:
Brooklyn Bridge
Gramercy Bridge (unless the north end disqualifies it)
Huey Long Bridge (New Orleans, though the one at Baton Rouge might count too)
Ross Island Bridge (unless the east end disqualifies it)
Aurora Bridge
Even more so in certain countries; is this a freeway? It has two interchanges in a row, with only a short bridge between them.

On the other hand, the Dumbarton Bridge would not count, because the west end is an intersection.
I wouldn't include the Ross Island Bridge, but Robert Moses did want to use it as part of the expressway system he drafted for Portland as requested by the city.
If McGloughlin Blvd and the 224 were full limited access, I could see an edge case in including the Ross Island Bridge.

OR 22 east of I-5 is annoying because of the signals at the interchange with I-5, and OR 34's and 62's expressway portions are debatable for inclusion.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:16 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 09:28:18 am »
I don't like "must end at an interchange" because it would mean that things like the western 2.5 miles of NY 531 wouldn't be included, even though NY 531 is definitely a freeway its entire length.

Besides the above-mentioned definition discussion (do we count intersections at the end of freeways? ala 531 at 31), this would potentially mean adding points to denote where said controlled-access begins/ends, not unlike what was discussed for the 6-lane list.  Not insurmountable, but does add another level for the collaborators.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2024, 09:48:54 am »
Would it be feasible to have some sort of comparison feature between users? Then you could see how much of freeway's travels you've been on.

CHM had some sort of feature where you could choose two users and see comparisons of their travels.  Does anyone remember the details?