Author Topic: Thunderforest Map Tiles  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:22:37 pm
Thunderforest Map Tiles
« on: September 02, 2024, 11:14:46 am »
I've disabled Thunderforest map tile options for now.  I got a notification that we have more than doubled the free usage level in the last few weeks, and to continue using them, we'd need to purchase a 95 GBP/month plan.  Of course our project has no money and if it did, we'd probably not prioritize a few map tiles as the place to spend it.

I've asked if we can just use them until the quota is hit each month.  If that turns out to be possible, I'll reenable them.

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:43:29 am
Re: Thunderforest Map Tiles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 02:04:42 pm »
I generally have been using the ESRI and USGS ones with the HERE maps not working for me recently.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 03:51:20 pm »
Yeah, HERE took away all free access a while ago.  I need to do a general cleanup/update of what's available through Leaflet Providers.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:15:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 04:11:42 pm »
FWIW, the only tiles I typically use are the OSM-related and ESRI imagery files.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:58:29 am
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 09:32:58 pm »
FWIW, the only tiles I typically use are the OSM-related and ESRI imagery files.
ditto
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:42:10 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 01:22:54 pm »
I do usually use OSM default, Esri World Image and for railways OPNV Karte. I do sometimes use OSM Germany, TM Blank White or TM Blank Black.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:12:32 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 01:29:01 pm »
I use OSM Germany sometimes to see transliterations (since plain OSM only gives the native characters, even if both are on road signs).

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 01:30:11 pm »
The Thunderforest people wrote back and said they don't have a way to deny access once an account has reached the free quota, so I am going to leave it disabled.  I'll keep the code in there so if there's a request for some temporary access to those tiles, I can easily add it back in.

With the greatly ramped up site usage, real users or not, I might have to get more serious about building our own OSM tile server instance.