Author Topic: New Railway System - Croatia  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Mislav210

• Last Login:Today at 08:18:12 am
New Railway System - Croatia
« on: September 08, 2024, 08:48:11 am »
Hello, I'm new here on the forum. Can you please tell me, how can I help you update and expand the system list for the Croatian railway network?

Thank you,
Mislav

Offline Mislav210

New Railway System - Croatia
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2024, 02:20:37 pm »
Hello, I'm new here on the forum. Can you please tell me, how can I help you update and expand the system list for the Croatian railway network?

Thank you,
Mislav

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:13:35 am
Re: New Railway System - Croatia
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 02:14:19 am »
For starters, consult the draft railway manual here: https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=5635.0

With that in hand, the basic mechanics of how the site functions go something like this:
- each individual route has a waypoint file (.wpt). Here's an example of what one looks like, representing the Amtrak NE Corridor in Connecticut. The file content takes the form of each line is an individual "point" along the route that will be connected by straight lines, and they're listed in order from one end to the other. Each line begins with the name of the waypoint, and ends with an OpenStreetMap URL containing the latitude an longitude of it, and these two things are separated by a space. If the waypoint label has a + before it, it's a hidden point that is used either only for shaping or, in the case of railways, it may represent a station along the line this train does not stop at (labels beginning with "+SKIP_") or a location where two lines merge/diverge (labels beginning with "+DIV_").
- if two lines intersect, it is crucial that the latitude and longitude of the intersection point be identical between both wpt files. This will create a "graph connection" allowing users to click between the two lines if they select that point.
- if two lines follow the same tracks, it is crucial that the latitude and longitude of the points on the shared section be identical between the wpt files for each. This is how the site detects concurrencies and they will fail to detect if the two point coords are off even slightly.
- each system has two csv files, a vanilla one and a _con one. These files tell the site what to do with wpt files. Here are the two for Amtrak:
https://github.com/Duke87ofST/RailwayData/blob/master/data/_systems/usaamtk.csv
https://github.com/Duke87ofST/RailwayData/blob/master/data/_systems/usaamtk_con.csv
Each line in the vanilla csv file corresponds to a wpt file. Each line in the _con csv file corresponds to a route, which may in some cases contain multiple wpt files if it crosses a jurisdictional boundary in the process.
- each system, once created, needs a line in systems.csv for it to load onto the site

There's considerably more to it, but those are the starting basics. Definitely take some time to poke around files on GitHub and familiarize yourself both with the file formats and the directory structures before you do anything else - and we'd appreciate you pointing out anything you spot that you think may be an error or an inconsistency with our drafting guidelines.

When you're ready to try your hand at making a wpt file, this tool is your friend: https://travelmapping.net/wptedit/
Double click to center the map where you want to add a waypoint, then click the "Add Waypoint" button and go from there. When you're done you'll need to copy and paste all the text in the box to somewhere else in order to save it. We use GitHub as the system of record but for starting out I would strongly suggest trying one and then pasting the contents into this thread so we can let you know if it looks right.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 02:17:44 am by Duke87 »

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2024, 08:24:35 am »
Thank you!

Mislav

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2024, 11:47:32 am »
Here, I reed all the instruction and put thogether this file. It's the line of the first tier. Look at how it looks, then tell me if something needs to be changed.

Mislav
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 12:04:30 pm by Mislav210 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:56:15 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2024, 12:19:54 pm »
Here, I reed all the instruction and put thogether this file. It's the line of the first tier. Look at how it looks, then tell me if something needs to be changed.

Mislav

Not bad :) Well, we have not yet agreed on common rules for the railway sub project. Thus, the following is just my 2ct:

+DIV is only required if the wp is not at a station.
+DIV_ZapKol -> ZapKol
+DIV_ZagGlKol -> ZagGlKol ?

I'd add a "+DIV_" wp at http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.804168&lon=15.964937

I think this should be skip instead:
+DIV_SavMar -> +SKIP_SavMar

I'm more curious what the route name would be :)

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2024, 12:23:06 pm »
There's considerably more to it, but those are the starting basics. Definitely take some time to poke around files on GitHub and familiarize yourself both with the file formats and the directory structures before you do anything else - and we'd appreciate you pointing out anything you spot that you think may be an error or an inconsistency with our drafting guidelines.

Learn more under: https://travelmapping.net/participate.php#hwydatamanager (last paragraph) - especially step 7: https://travelmapping.net/devel/manual/sysnew.php
It's for the highway sub project but it should be quite similar for railways.

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2024, 12:34:59 pm »
Thank you for suggestions. In Croatia rotes have different category. Main (corridor) railways, regional significance railways, etc. So that is way this one is M101. For SavMar it is the station from which start one local line, but not every traint stops there. So it's difficult to decide. Beacuse in the official publication of Croatian Railways for route M101 they didn't put stations Lad and Sut.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2024, 12:51:24 pm »
Thank you for suggestions. In Croatia rotes have different category. Main (corridor) railways, regional significance railways, etc. So that is way this one is M101. For SavMar it is the station from which start one local line, but not every train stops there.

Our railway routes are drafted by services. Not by infrastructure. Thus, one route could have a station as +SKIP, another route as regular waypoint (wp).

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2024, 04:39:46 pm »
Thank you for suggestions. In Croatia rotes have different category. Main (corridor) railways, regional significance railways, etc. So that is way this one is M101. For SavMar it is the station from which start one local line, but not every train stops there.

Our railway routes are drafted by services. Not by infrastructure. Thus, one route could have a station as +SKIP, another route as regular waypoint (wp).

Here It is, the updated version.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 03:19:13 am by Mislav210 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2024, 12:32:43 pm »

+TreRas -> +DIV_TreRas

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2024, 12:40:36 pm »

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2024, 06:58:26 am »

+TreRas -> +DIV_TreRas

Changed

I completed the whole network.

Fixed quote.  -Mark
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 09:50:05 am by Markkos1992 »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2024, 11:23:08 am »

Offline Mislav210

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2024, 04:23:47 pm »
I completed the whole network.

There is no pull request though: https://github.com/TravelMapping/RailwayData/pulls
Sorry, but I'm not that familiar with github.

Quote tag fixed.
--Bickendan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 07:43:24 pm by Bickendan »