Author Topic: VT: Alternate Truck US 5 (Derby Line)?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 10:24:11 pm
    • New York State Roads
VT: Alternate Truck US 5 (Derby Line)?
« on: October 11, 2024, 09:16:02 pm »
On US 5 north, there's fairly prominent signage for an Alternate/Truck route in Derby Line.  Signage states as an alternate route and a truck route to the border, before taking inspiration from PennDOT and becoming an Alternate Truck Route.  The thing is, with signage just saying to US 5 on the I-91 end, it's hard to get a read on whether this is a route we should include or not.  And, with no sigange going the other way at the I-91 end, there's the question of whether it should end at I-91 or the border even if it did get included.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline neroute2

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:28:57 am
Re: VT: Alternate Truck US 5 (Derby Line)?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2024, 10:36:01 pm »
before taking inspiration from PennDOT and becoming an Alternate Truck Route.
That one looks to me like an alternate route with a truck route sign up top. A truck route (as opposed to just truck) sign is used in many places, on and off numbered routes, to show that trucks are allowed on a road.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:38:31 am
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2024, 03:20:49 pm »
This is an interesting one.  For many years, it was signed as "Truck Route PQ 143".  Only relatively recently (within the past few years) has the PQ 143 shield (which can be seen on 2008 GMSV) been replaced by an "ALT US 5" shield.  The intent with this signage is to discourage trucks from using the US 5/PQ 143 border crossing and instead direct them over to the I-91/A-55 crossing.

Caswell Ave has been a Class 1 Town Highway going back to the start of the town highway classification system in the early 1970s.  Which means it's technically a state highway under day-to-day maintenance of the town, much like US 5 is through Derby Line and scores of other state and US routes within incorporated villages and cities.  However, many Vermont state highways are named instead of numbered..."Berlin State Highway" on the hill connecting VT 62 near the hospital down to US 302 being one such example.

Looking at VTrans GIS data, VTrans does seem to inventory Caswell Ave as an "ALT US 5".  Though I have not found anything suggesting that VTrans submitted a request to AASHTO to recognize it.

All that said, and given precedent (including routes that only have a single route sign), I'm inclined to add it as "ALT US 5" between US 5 and I-91 which is what VTrans GIS data shows.  Unless someone gives me a compelling reason not to include it.

Online yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:19:06 am
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2024, 05:58:05 pm »
I agree with both neroute2 & froggie.

Was a bit surprised to see this wasn't already included. A git bisect reveals it was deleted from CHM in June 2013.
I presume due to the former signage situation froggie mentions.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Online the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:23:04 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2024, 08:01:43 am »
I agree as well.

Mildly unrelated, but I was just browsing in the area and I found some... interesting signage over by the Morses Line border crossing: "US 207"/"US 235"
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 08:45:29 am
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2024, 12:31:41 pm »
I agree as well.

Mildly unrelated, but I was just browsing in the area and I found some... interesting signage over by the Morses Line border crossing: "US 207"/"US 235"

I'd say the old school I-89 VT shield is way more interesting. ;)